What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Milestone Dates

joedallas

Well Known Member
Can someone please explain the normal progression of the following Dates
Dar, certificate, airworthiness and first flight.

Thanks

I'll give it a shot:

Around 180 to 120 days prior to when you think you'll be ready for first flight register your project with the FAA and get your N number. You can do it anytime but be warned earlier can make you liable for an early tax bill and later can delay getting your air worthiness certifcate as you have to have your registraion before you can receive your airworthiness certificate.

When you think you are close to being ready for first flight, you make arrangements with a DAR (or your local FSDO) for them to come and perform an airworthiness inspection. If you pass, you 'll receive your airworthiness certificate at the end of the inspection. First flight can then take place anytime after you get that magic piece of paper.

Is that what you're asking for?

Last edited:
FAA Dates

I'll give it a shot:

Around 180 to 120 days prior to when you think you'll be ready for first flight register your project with the FAA and get your N number. You can do it anytime but be warned earlier can make you liable for an early tax bill and later can delay getting your air worthiness certifcate as you have to have your registraion before you can receive your airworthiness certificate.

When you think you are close to being ready for first flight, you make arrangements with a DAR (or your local FSDO) for them to come and perform an airworthiness inspection. If you pass, you 'll receive your airworthiness certificate at the end of the inspection. First flight can then take place anytime after you get that magic piece of paper.

Is that what you're asking for?

On the FAA N-Number Results the Certificate Issue and the Airworthiness dates are not the same and the timing is some cases is much latter and is the Certificate the same as the DAR Date.

On the FAA N-Number Results the Certificate Issue and the Airworthiness dates are not the same and the timing is some cases is much latter and is the Certificate the same as the DAR Date.

"Certificate issue" date is the date of the registration certificate. It will always precede the airworthiness.
Not quite sure what you mean by the "DAR date". The date that the DAR signs the airworthiness certificate is the airworthiness date.

It sounds like you are planning on being done soon, and trying to figure out the next steps.

Get the EAA book, which also has the needed forms, all will be revealed inside.

AW Dates

"Certificate issue" date is the date of the registration certificate. It will always precede the airworthiness.
Not quite sure what you mean by the "DAR date". The date that the DAR signs the airworthiness certificate is the airworthiness date.

When you have a DAR inspection can you fly on that day and will your AW date be the same date.
Or will the AW date be some time after

When you have a DAR inspection can you fly on that day and will your AW date be the same date.
Or will the AW date be some time after

When the aircraft passes the airworthiness inspection, the airworthiness certificate is issued and you can fly immediately. That is, as soon as you can get the aircraft all closed up.

AW Dates

When the aircraft passes the airworthiness inspection, the airworthiness certificate is issued and you can fly immediately. That is, as soon as you can get the aircraft all closed up.

How long after the DAR / AW Date does the FAA post the AW date on there N-Number Inquiry Web Site

The reason I ask the question is I see that some aircraft have there first flight before the AW date is posted and some time the first flight is before the AW Date

The FAA is not very dependable when it comes to posting dates. I've seen them posted within a month and I've seen other times when it was several months. But be assured, once you receive the airworthiness certificate, you're "good to go!" And you will receive it as soon as the aircraft passes the inspection.

Back