What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Middle Georgia Recon

bsacks05

Well Known Member
The weather, work, and family had me grounded for over a week but this evening they all gave way to a recon flight over the towns and countryside. My first destination was Americus, Ga, base for lots of ag operations. An interesting thing about Americus is that it is where Charles Lindburgh first soloed. Also there are at least 20 ag planes parked in a field parallel to the taxiway. The story I heard is that they were imported from eastern Europe but could not get certified here so they just sit and decay in the field. A couple have been rolled by winds. :(
After my mains touched down I caught sight of an ag plane departing from what looked like the parallel taxiway. I throttled up and followed him from above as he hugged the tree tops heading for the fields.
I broke off the chase and headed north to Robins Air Park - a grass field where I learned to fly. On the ground I parked and chatted with my old instructor, Tim, and the former prez of our EAA chapter, Dave. Tim and another pilot were about to head out in a couple Skyhawks for food. As they left I was still talking to Dave for a couple minutes before I started up and lined up to depart. As I climbed out, I could see the two Cessnas heading north. Just for fun, I thought, I'm gonna catch them. I called Tim and told him I was giving chase to his flight of two.
They were in my sights and getting closer.
As I closed, it was obvious that I had throttled back too late and was about to overtake them.
Anyway, after we all caught up with each other, a v-tail bonanza joined up on my right. Here we were - two skyhawks, an RV9, and a bonanza flying into a beautiful Georgia sunset.
Soon the bonanza broke off and I stayed for a little air to air photography - can't wait to see pictures of me and catalina in the air.
I broke off to the right to return to base as dusk settled.

What do they say? Oh yeah........Keep Pounding Those Rivets!

Very nice

Not only did Charles Lindberg solo at that airport, there is one of the best hobby shops just off the end of the runway. Hodges Hobbies. There is also a FANTASTIC place to eat.. Monroe's I believe it is called. It's also a graveyard for a Bunch of Chezck sp? crop dusters... Thanks for the Post!
Best

Back