What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mid-Fuse Bulkheads

paul330

Well Known Member
Greetings from wet and windy Wiltshire where, thanks to the miracle of butane space heaters, building continues apace. Status now officially changed to "fuselage" (OK, still the wing tips to do.....)

Question on riveting the F-1004B bulkhead (page 25-6)

Step 3 says to rivet the Aft Seat Support sub-assemblies (plural). However, figure 1 does not show rivet callouts for the inboard assembly - nor does it state that it should be left open - just the most inboard row for later fitting of ribs. Looking ahead in the plans, it looks like it should be riveted now.

Is the lack of callouts just an error in the plans?

Really enjoying starting on the fuselage. Lots of big bits quickly and only one of everything to do. Not too long before I'll have something I can sit in and make aeroplane noises :D

I just finished that step a month ago. Let me look at the plans and see what I can see. I'll get back to you, probably tonight or tomorrow.

Rivet 'em

I say rivet them. The plans say rivet both assemblies and don't declare "leave open," but don't call out the rivets. Two out of three says rivet them, plus I agree that there doesn't seem to be a reason down the road in future plans sections to not rivet them. In fact, it would get darn near impossible to rivet them if you wait very long. Might be worth an email/call to the builder assist line at the factory so they know about the error and can correct in future plans issues.

Good luck.

Thanks Bryan, that backs up what I thought. You obviously came to he same conclusion when you did it a month or so ago - I sure you would have remembered the curses if you had to drill out all those rivets ;) Emailed VANS support but no answer yet.

I agree with Bryan. I had to look up in my builder's log to job my memory. I riveted them too.

Welcome to the fuselage kit. You are going to find many other items like this going forward. At this point, Van's makes some assumptions about our ability to read between the lines and make appropriate decisions. There is no more verbose hand holding like in the previous kits.

If you haven't read the "Gotchas" on Tim Olson's site yet, I would highly recommend it.

bob

All is well

Just got a reply from VANS with an updated page (Rev 2 09/15/06) showing the correct callouts. My rev is also 2 but dated 04. Kit delivered earlier this year. :confused:

Thanks for your help. On to the ribs today.

Fuse Plans

I echo what Bob says about the fuse kit. There is a lot less literal step-by-step instruction, and you have to guess or study a lot more. Still, we have been through a lot and should know enough to figure it out. I haven't had too many hand wringing moments, but that's what we have this forum and Van's builder assist for. I'm also having a ball with the fuse kit. Just riveting on the side skins now, hearing little airplane noises in the shop from time to time.

Back