What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mid Cowl Hinges

Paris12Man

Well Known Member
Greetings....For those of you who have completed step 2 on page 29-02 (making F-1201J and F-1201K) can you verify the length required for F1201J. The plans call for 26", but if you notice figure 2 and 3, the hinge half starts and stops with an eyelet. This can only happen if the hinge is 25 1/2". I'm not sure what happens to the other half of the hinge if I cut it 1/2" shorter. Part no. F-1201K is fine with the 12 1/2" cut. The plans have always been so exact on all other measures, I'm just not sure of this one. I realize it is only 1/2".....but I might need that later on someplace. Your help is appreciated.

Experience

Cut to the plans. As I've seen in many posts, don't ask me how I know. It's frigging expensive for replacement pats to the UK.
Jamesey

Jamesey it's not the hinge that's expensive it's the shipping....... Not that I've had to replace any hinges - Honest!! I'm just hoping I'll be all to use them at some point.

Best not mention the 7 replacement rear ribs that have just arrived at the post office - Shipping and vat is about 50% of the overall cost of the things

Digging up a pretty old thread but I ran into this myself. The plans now call for a 25.5 inch hinge - which is eyelet to eyelet. After match drilling having the end lined up with 1201 H per the dwg the last rivet hole misses the hinge.

I'll call vans today just to make sure I didn't miss something. My plan is to cut a 26 inch hinge so the extra half inch (non eyelet) can capture the last rivet hole.

Vans says split the difference - basically 1/4 inch. I had already drilled the part before I saw that it just missed the last hole so I'm just starting over. No big deal - these parts are cheap.

I too basically did what Waterboy did and extended the flat of the hinge 1/2" to catch the lone rivet hole. I figure if there is an interference issue later, it will be quite easy to use a Dremel outfitted with a cutoff wheel to remove a small portion of the excess hinge material.

Back