What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Micrometer recommendation?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
Any recommendations on a brand/model/source for a good quality 1" vernier micrometer? (not digital)

When I was in the trade I always preferred Starrett brand because I found them easier to read than Brown & Sharp. That was 30 years ago though and now the market is flooded with other high quality measuring devices from Japan and elsewhere, along with the cheap imports.

Mitutoyo

All my calipers are Mitutoyo. I think Starrett is equally as good. Be aware that some models of micrometers have an extra scale on the barrel so you can read down to .0001. Quite handy and not much extra cost if any.

Starrett's the Cadillac

I have a Starrett 120 Slide Caliper with a dial, and use it all the time. I really like it, as it measures anything from 0.001" to 12.000" (I think..maybe it goes up to 10"). It's accurate and very easy to read. You read inches and tenths of inches off the linear scale, and add thousands that you read off the dial. I also have a 1" micrometer, but I could get by without it.

My dad left me the dial caliper, so I don't really know how the price compares to a standard micrometer. They have cheaper brand digital versions of the slide calipers at Lowe's Aircraft Supply, but like the others above, I really like the Starrett.

Almost any brand will measure within .001 as far as accuracy. I use Starrett and Mititoyo but if it measures o.ooo when closed and 1.000 when checked against the standard you are good to go. Check MSC Industrial or Travers Online and you will find several options.

Last edited:
Micrometer ?

I think you can build one of these planes with a ruler, in 1/16" gradiations, just a thought, but I guess we do have to stick to the Homebuilders motto "measure with a micrometer, mark with a crayon cut with a Hatchett" :)

Not the same thing

Guys, OP asked for micrometer recommendation, not caliper.

Micrometer.

Micrometer.jpg

Caliper.

vernier-001.jpg

All my calipers are Mitutoyo. I think Starrett is equally as good. Be aware that some models of micrometers have an extra scale on the barrel so you can read down to .0001. Quite handy and not much extra cost if any.

That extra scale is the vernier scale. Exactly what the OP wanted.

OK, flame me for trying this, but on a whim and a sale price I bought a 3-pack (1", 2", 3") of micrometers from Harbor Freight. Certainly not on par with Starrett or Mitutoyo, but I took them to the cert lab at work (big aircraft company) and they checked just fine. The gauge standards that came in the box also checked out. The cert folks did look at me a little weird when I brought them in, though.

Surprised, actually. I had VERY low expectations.

I've owned my Mitutoyo Mics for about 30 years now and used them thousands of times. Never a problem. Nothing wrong with Starrett C clamps either.

Being one to use measuring instruments for over 30 years now, I recommend that when purchasing a micrometer that you get one that will lock. it's much easier to correctly read the part being measured and for sure easier to read when using in conjunction with an inside 'snap' gauge.

Bells and whistles

I agree with Allen and others - a lock, friction knob, and vernier scale are all very useful. More useful, in fact, than any gains from buying a top quality tool.

I love quality tools and have several name brand mics, but I also have some cheapies around and find them to be very accurate and absolutely good enough for home shop use. I would say a cheap, knockoff combo pack of mics would have more utility in a homebuilder's shop than a single, high quality 1" mic.

I love the interest in machine tools and precision measurement I see on the VAF forum. The machining discipline isn't as difficult as most people think it is, and good machinist skills transfer very nicely to homebuilding. It can only make our ships better and safer.

Several years ago, I made a homebuilt CNC mill from a Chinese mill/drill and scrap industrial parts. Over time, I have expanded my machine machine shop and now have some really nice capabilities for making parts, fixtures, tools, tapered shims, etc. It has been invaluable for my RV project.

M

Starrett ordered

I ordered the Starrett T230XRL for $127 (free shipping) from Amazon. Exactly what I was looking for - vernier scale (.0001) and carbide faces.

Until lately, I had never used a micrometer but after I did, it became a must have tool. What can I say, I've become a tool junkie and the habit is getting worse.

Back