What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL xTreme EMS Experience in the cold

rv8bldr

Well Known Member
Hey everyone

I'm thinking of replacing the Rocky Mountain Instruments uMonitor in my -8 with the MGL xTreme EMS. I like everything about it, but... I live in Canada :rolleyes:

When I got up this morning it was -32C outside. In fact, there have been more -20C and lower days this winter than I remember in a long time, which brings up my question:

Has anyone had any experience with the xTreme EMS (positive or negative) in temperatures below 0C (32F) ? The literature on the MGL website lists

Operating: -10C to 50C
Storage: -20C to 80C

Thanks in advance for your input.

I use an MGL extreme EFIS primarily for an engine monitor and for 3 winters have flown in as cold as-24 C It lives in a heated hangar at one end but gets cold soaked to the bone at the other end of a repeat run. Much to my surprise it is the only EFIS that I have owned that has not had issues in the cold. It has proven itself quite well as an engine monitor.

Last edited:
Our specifications tend to be conservative.
We like to err on the "good" side.

We use extended temperature range components as a rule sourced from automotive, industrial and aerospace/military graded batches (in that order).
We find automotive graded components the most robust and reliable.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Thanks for the info, guys. I suspected as much and will be going ahead with the upgrade.

Cheers

Back