What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL VHF-10 or V20?

N130WN

Well Known Member
MGL V10 or V20?

Are there any updates on the MGL V20, the remote transceiver that interfaces with, and is controlled via an EFIS? ETA? Which EFIS's will it play with?

I'm trying to finalize my RV-7 panel components and have defaulted to the SL-40 for a comm from the beginning, but MGL's V10 sure is appealing when you consider size, weight and price. On the downside, lack of knobs on the V10 make ad-hoc freq assignments a little bit of a hassle. Not an issue if the EFIS can interface with it, or a V20.

Does anyone know if the AFS 4500 can or will be able to interface with an MGL radio?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The remote unit will likely only be released towards the end of next year (perhaps sooner). It may interface to certain 3rd party EFIS units, notably GRT and perhaps others.
This unit goes far beyond what current, existing remote control protocols can do so it has a new protocol. The protocol must not only cater for setting frequencies but everything that has to do with radio operation, setup as well as operating the built in audio panel.
The V10 can interface with any EFIS that supports direct frequency setting (main or standby) for a SL30 or SL40 radio, in addition it also suports the frequency lists feature of the SL03 and SL40 (but these are perhaps less useful).

Using our Enigma as example, once connected to it you can set frequencies in a variety of ways (apart from the panel on the radio itself).

a) Direct selection via the airports data base
b) Direct selection via the airspace data base
c) From the "Radio" menu:
1) Direct numeric entry using the EFIS keypad
2) From a user supplied text file containing a list of frequencies and descriptors.

If you have an Odyssey or Voyager then you can also use any of the rotary controls to set frequency.

Apart from that you have up to 100 internal channels that you can pre-program and up to 10 frequency lists (but our EFIS's do not support those, but others may).

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Are there any updates on the MGL V20, the remote transceiver that interfaces with, and is controlled via an EFIS? ETA? Which EFIS's will it play with?

I'm trying to finalize my RV-7 panel components and have defaulted to the SL-40 for a comm from the beginning, but MGL's V10 sure is appealing when you consider size, weight and price. On the downside, lack of knobs on the V10 make ad-hoc freq assignments a little bit of a hassle. Not an issue if the EFIS can interface with it, or a V20.

Does anyone know if the AFS 4500 can or will be able to interface with an MGL radio?

Thanks.

Thanks for the info Rainier. Sounds very good. I hope AFS is on board too.

Keep up the good work.

Back