What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL V6

jpowell13

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried the MGL V6 com radio? It has all the features I want. Just wondering how it performs.

I have flown for a year with the V10 and am happy with the quality and performance. I wish the V10 had the V6 knobs.

Knobs, dual scan, stereo intercom, a pre-assembled 2 place harness, accepts frequencies from GPS... all in a 2.25" hole. What more could you ask? Thanks for the report on the V10 Glen.

V-10

Ditto on the V-10. I don't have anything for you on the V-6, but I have been using the V-10 for 9 months or so and I am very satisfied with its performance. The intercom is a great feature.

Good to know MGL's intercom works well Brad. I also read in their add that the V6 accepts mono audio inputs from two sources like warning tones from an EFIS and a GPS in addition to one stereo input. Am I right in assuming this eliminates the need for the little tone generator and audio mixer that Van's sells to builders that don't plan to install an audio panel?

Audio tones

The Odyssey G2 has audio alarms in the form of prerecorded messages such as "Oil temperature". The audio alarms are sent to V-10 and come through nicely on my headset. The Odyssey also has a copilot mode which calls airspeeds below a selected airspeed, "Call 500 feet" and "speed low" when approuching stall speed.

I have a V-6 I'm planning using & hope to get a V-20 (Nav) for a side-by-side pair, in the space of a single larger set.

I hadn't heard about a V20. Will it have a glide slope? When will it be available and how much?

It is in active development now but no indication of when it will be available.
It can resolve two VOR simultaneously, one ILS and one glide slope.
It has an optional DME head as well.

Unlike our other RF products, this one will be released first as remote unit only for use with our EFIS systems. A panel mount control head similar in size to our V6 radio is planned though.

We are also looking quite seriously to make a version of the XTreme EFIS as GPS, interface to two remote COM, one NAV and a transponder. That could be quite a cost effective solution to typical RF needs with a GPS thrown into the bargain.
The XTreme EFIS is now being fitted out to interface to our remote transponder as well as to the new very low cost Sandia transponders (The remote as well as the panel mount).

Our next G2 software update (very soon) adds support for all of these transponders as well.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Rainier,

The Tru-trak EFIS is designed to work with the SL-30 so maybe it will work with your V20. Anyway, thanks for helping to make experimental aviation affordable.

John

V6 seems fine to me

I've had one for a couple months... but had to work through some issues on wiring/headset from my side.

Once that was sorted out, no problems. I will say it is a bit different in the options/flexibility that it has, just need to work through and get to your "preferred settings". The intercom also seems to work fine.

Neat package, small size, good price.

Back