What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL V6 radio is nearly done...

Rainier Lamers

Well Known Member
Just a heads-up...

The V6 has completed FCC testing in New Zealand with some astounding results - for example, frequency stability/accuracy was measured at 0.6ppm maximum deviation over the -20C to +50C temperature range. That's better than most laboratory equipment can do !
This is a result of our latest fully digital oscillator circuit.
Output power peaks at around 7.5W typically but we will still rate it as a 6.5W radio.
We have received FAA approval yesterday and are now proceeding with FCC filing of all the documents, we expect to receive the final FCC certification in a week or so.
We have the first 200 ready to go the moment FCC comes through.

Price is very similar to the current V10 radio.

V6 features:

2.25" format, rotary controls, low mounting depth, very low weight.
6.5W digital transmitter, full and rich signal modulation for good range.
Highest possible efficiency for low current draw during TX.
Very sensitive receiver (better than -100dbm for 6db S/N).
99 channel memory.
Operates with 25Khz and 8.33Khz channel spacing (selectable) and channel mode. Channel mode includes name and type of frequency (for example, airfield designator and function of channel (ground, appoach etc)).
Dual scan on main/standby frequency. Very fast receiver locking allows almost no audiable breaks if listening to standby in priority mode.
Two communications interfaces allow connections to two compatible EFIS systems at the same time. SL40/SL30 and MGL communications compatible. For SL40/SL30 only 25Khz spacings can be used (limiation of the Garmin protocol).
Using MGL communications interface, the radio can be fully remote controlled including all setup, volume, squelch etc.
Built in 4 place, dual circuit, stereo intercom. 4 independent microphone inputs, each with own level adjust. Improved version of our VOGAD noise suppression system included. Can also be used with standard VOX system.
Dual circuit allows seperate pilot/passenger intercoms with full isolate (selectable via simple panel switch).
Stereo music input with automatic fade down on microphone activity and mute on RX. Please note: Stereo headsets needed to take advantage of the stereo system.
Two further mono inputs for mobile phone and EFIS annunciator usage.
Combined mono output for flight recorders or mobile phone use.

And more....

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Rainier, Does this radio have a memory battery? If so, how long should it last and how hard will it be to change it?
Sure would be nice if it was external.

Thank You.

Stereo music input with automatic fade down on microphone activity and mute on RX.
Is the amount of fade down or muting adjustable? I have my current intercom set to reduce the music volume 50% when someone speaks or there is radio activity. This allows for some continuity of the music while still allowing me to hear the radio.

No battery.

Uses E2 memory to store settings and channel info.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Rainier, Does this radio have a memory battery? If so, how long should it last and how hard will it be to change it?
Sure would be nice if it was external.

Thank You.

Is the amount of fade down or muting adjustable? I have my current intercom set to reduce the music volume 50% when someone speaks or there is radio activity. This allows for some continuity of the music while still allowing me to hear the radio.

Just like the V10, you set two levels - one level when nobody is talking, a second, lower level if somebody is talking. Complete mute if any RX.
You could set the two levels the same so music volume remains unchanged.

There is also a RX mute which you can use to lower (but not cancel) RX volume. Handy if you want to chat with your PAX and want to just lower the RX volume in busy channels temporarily - just so you can still hear what is going on but it does not interfere with your conversation.
That cancels itself if you TX or power cycle the radio (or of course "unmute").
You just press the volume knob for a second to mute/unmute.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Will be put into production with the second batch of V6 units. Effectively the same thing, just with display and knobs removed and a mounting plate fitted instead. Forms part of the same FCC so no issue there.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Any word on the headless unit?

What percentage of the V6 price do you think the V6R might be? 80%?

Thanks again, really looking forward to these

We have not done the costing for this yet but a rough thumb suck would suggest somewhere between 80-90% so you're quite on the mark.

Rainier

What percentage of the V6 price do you think the V6R might be? 80%?

Thanks again, really looking forward to these

Just like the V10, you set two levels - one level when nobody is talking, a second, lower level if somebody is talking. Complete mute if any RX.
You could set the two levels the same so music volume remains unchanged

So, there are two levels, and when someone on board talks, it goes to the second level but when I receive a radio transmission, the music volume goes to complete mute?
thanks, Bruce

Back