What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL V6 and Clarity Aloft Headset

JoeLofton

Well Known Member
Thought I would share this info with the group.

I recently installed an MGL V6 comm in my RV-3, planning to use a Clarity Aloft headset. I had to set the mic level to minimum and the VOX to maximum to close out the background cockpit noise at cruise power. The combo was unusable at those settings.

Researching the problem, I came across the Oregon Aero discussion of cockpit noise and the effect on noise-canceling microphones. You can read the full discussion under their FAQs (http://www.oregonaero.com/faq#t44n220).

In short, a cover over the mic muff reduces the cockpit noise to the point that the noise-canceling mic isn't overwhelmed. The cover needs a tiny hole front and back to allow the noise-canceling mic feature to work.

I fabricated and installed a cover from a piece of scrap leather, reset the V6 per the manual (mic level at 0.0db, VOX at 6), and the radio now works perfectly with the Clarity Aloft headset.

Jeff what about the vogage settings on the v6? Do you just turn that off completely?

Bird

This is interesting. I have the V10 and assumed the V6 was similar.

My V10 and Clarity Aloft headset have been great together. When I switched from a David Clark 13.4 to the CL, I didn't change anything.

I had to use an Oregon Aero mic muff cover on my Telex passive headsets back when I owned my TriPacer to minimize the amount of cabin noise picked up by the mic. Same story in the with the Telex in the RV but I haven't had that problem with my CA's (also passive) in the RV, tho.

VOGAD/VOX

Bird, you can choose one of three VOGAD settings or the VOX setting, then set the level for the one you choose, then press the MENU button to lock it in. The radio uses the one selected in the menu - you don't have to do anything to the level of the others. I chose VOX just to keep things simple while I chased my noise problem.

Notes:
VOGAD - Voice Operated Gain Adjusting Device - adjusts the mic gain based on voice volume to shape and provide a more consistent, better-sounding output signal. The V6 has a proprietary VOGAD system and allows a choice for low, medium or high noise environments.

VOX - Voice Operated eXchange - a voice operated switch that turns the mic on when the voice level exceeds a set threshold, and off when the voice falls under the threshold - a simple on-off function with no signal shaping. The V6 system includes "soft" on-off smoothing and a bit of "off" delay to account for the normal spacing between words.

Thanks Joe gonna order my v6 before to long and planning on the clarity or something similar.

Bird

v10

Just another data point. I have a v10 and halos. I absolutely love the combo. I get comments ofter from others about the clarity etc. Some of my friends with complete audio panels, dual comms etc have all sorts of issues, the simplicity of my set up seems to be perfect for my needs.

The built in intercom works great, the headset and the radio work perfect right out of the box, on what I believe to be default settings.

I have the V6 in my 7 but not flying yet, I have used it with several headsets to do radio checks with Atlanta Center. Works great
Smilin' Jack

Back