What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MetalsSupermarket.com

David Paule

Well Known Member
I ordered a piece of 18 gauge (.050") stainless steel from these folks. It was easy to order what I wanted from their site to the exact size, and a phone call got delivery at my house the next morning. Delivery was roughly half the steel cost, but it came quickly.

One side of the stainless steel has vinyl on it like we're used to seeing. Unfortunately the other side had some fairly deep scratches, enough that if this had been an airplane structural part I'd have had to reject it. The sheet remained flat, which was fine - this stainless steel is being used for a work bench countertop. The scratches didn't hurt bonding it to the work bench's structure. There had been some oil or something on the bare surface, but that was easy to clean off.

I hope that the surface under the vinyl is okay, guess I'll have to let you know when I pull it off.

So good news and bad here.

Dave

I am thankful to have a couple of Metal Supermarkets (I think I read they have 118 locations) within a reasonable driving distance of me. As you alluded to, shipping can cost about as much as product these days...

If I am driving by anyway, I sometimes check their "crops" section which gets sold by the pound (and airplanes generally need light material :) ). Occasionally I have some luck and find some suitable material(shape/grade/thickness) worth keeping the shop stocked with. Good because a lot of my custom work ends up being revision 2 or 3 before I'm happy with it!

Last edited:
I've pulled the protective vinyl off and theirs is thicker and more aggressive than Van's. A real pain. The stainless steel surface under it is pristine.

Dave

Back