What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Messed up dimple in VS skin

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
:( Well I made my first mistake on the emmpenage tonight. I was really upset. Not sure if that was because it was the first one or because it was so stupid. Well at any rate I have an extra large dimple where the dimple die wasn't aligned before I wacked the C-frame dimpler. This dimple was very close to the to the bend of the skin so I was holding the skin open so I could get a shot at the dimpler shaft. I thought I was holding the skin down with my other hand, but I guess I wasn't.The male die basically got ramed through the skin. It took me a while to get the die out, but eventually I did.

dr60qa.jpg

5fhzxg.jpg

So I'm now wondering how bad it is. No not my bruised ego, the skin damage. I took these couple of pictures so I could get some suggestions. It looks like I could set the rivet even with the enlarged hole. I started thinking that this rivet might not even show since it is on the bottom edge of the VS. Isn't there a fairing that covers the bottom of the VS. If that is the case I'm one lucky guy. I tried to find some info on mounting of the VS, but I didn't see anything that would help me feel better. Could I fill the hole some way? I would hate to have to buy a new skin and start over. I had just made so much progress today.

So any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thanks

that rivet will be covered by a fiberglass fairing anyhow

go ahead and set that one. For piece of mind, I'll usually add an additional rivet when I booger one up and it's not so bad that I'll need to order parts.

You'll do way worse later on.:p

Another option would be to add an "oops" rivet there. You'll find plenty of uses for them once you have them. Order a set at Avery-- you'll be glad you did.

Bigger can be better

Try the next size larger rivet. Move up from a 3 to a 4. This is no big deal.

Or my standard no-see-em and structural fix: rivet that one last. Fill first with structural adhesive (Hysol or similar) and then re-drill after it has set. Countersink for the rivet and reset and now your rivet has something solid to set to all the way around. Once painted, you won't be able to tell.

Clean up the dimple so it will fit the rib and sit flush and then use an Oops Rivet. You could also move over a tad and put in a -3 1097 rivet to help with support for the skin, probably won't need it. You can make this look very nice and it will not be an issue. :)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. After I calmed down I realized I knew the best way to fix it. As several of you suggested I drilled out the hole to a #30 and dimpled the hole for a -4 rivet. It looks much bettter now and I also figured out that the empennage fairing will cover it up.

bjh2me.jpg

Back to dimpling. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back