What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mechanics - Need Help with Log Books

f1rocket

Well Known Member
For people reading and responding, this is in reference to E-LSA paperwork.

I'm trying real hard to get my log books established correctly. Thanks to Mel, I have the proper wording for my log book entries to initiate flight operations. What I need help with is logging Service Bulletins for my engine, airframe, and propeller. Specifically, I don't know what to log and what to say when I do log it. For example, I'll use my engine log to frame my questions.

I went to the Rotax site and entered my serial number and asked for all the applicable SB's. I got back a list of 10, 1 index and 9 actual SBs. So my basic question is what do I do with this? Do I log each one in the book or just staple the list to the page? Do I need to print off and attach each SB? Where does it go? What do I say in the entry? Some are optional, some mandatory. Some are recurring at each inspection. What do I say about those since there's no final resolution to it? What about the ones that apply, but because the engine doesn't have any hours on it, it really doesn't apply? This is all very, very confusing.

In the end, I understand the goal is to show that all applicable SB's have been looked at and applied appropriately. I'm just nor sure of the exact process.

I'd love to get my inspection done so I can get this thing in the air, but all this paperwork is killing me.

I'm mulling this over too. I seem to recall Mel saying in a previous post that even though the engine hasn't been run yet, you should make a note in the engine log that previous Service Bulletins have either been complied with or are not applicable to your engine. So far I've just been collecting the relevant SB's and making a note on the SB that it (so far) hasn't been applicable to my engine.

I logged all the ROTAX and VANS documents that were applicable and their disposition. I update it at least every annual. There were some (the fuel tank mods) that came out after my 12 was licensed that I logged as not done by choice.

I went to the Rotax site and entered my serial number and asked for all the applicable SB's. I got back a list of 10, 1 index and 9 actual SBs. So my basic question is what do I do with this? Do I log each one in the book or just staple the list to the page? Do I need to print off and attach each SB? Where does it go? What do I say in the entry? Some are optional, some mandatory. Some are recurring at each inspection. What do I say about those since there's no final resolution to it? What about the ones that apply, but because the engine doesn't have any hours on it, it really doesn't apply? This is all very, very confusing.

Remember the FAA does not use the words "log book" - they say "Maintenance Records"

Make a note in your 'log book' and keep the paperwork with the details in a separate three-ring binder.

Go to my website for very complete aircraft records instructions for free. It also includes sample forms for all critical areas of record keeping.

www.twisted-wrench.com

My e-mail is on the site and you can contact me with questions.

Dude, O U T S T A N D I N G !

Just what I was looking for. I just started to dig into the data on your web site but I've already found the answers to several of my questions. Thank you so much.

Now, a couple of questions:

1. In my example for my Rotax, do I list every single SB ever issued for the 912 ULS in the SB spreadsheet, or just the ones that Rotax says apply to my serial number? It seems a waste to list 50 or 60 entries with "N/A due to serial number."

2. What entry should I put in the engine log book to show compliance? One for each SB?

Thanks.

Last edited:
For SBs, I'm a proponent of doing a spreadsheet with the following columns.

SB#, Title, Applicable Y/N, Done Y/N, and description filled in on the ones that are applicable but not done. You can add columns for cost or anything else.

I've used this for aircraft with over 1000 SBs and you fill it in as the SBs come in and for maintenance planning you just do a data query for the Applicable Y's and the Done N's.

A SB listing is not regulatory but is a very nice thing to keep for planning purposes.

For your logbook, the compliance with each performed SB must be recorded. If the SB was previously accomplished and you want to track the accomplishment date, a date column can be added to your spreadsheet.

You shouldn't be entering a maintenance record for any SB you did not personally perform. Any previous accomplishments should already be recorded.

As part of your records management, you can print your spreadsheet and keep it with your logbook.

Once again, there is no regulatory requirement for tracking or lists or anything except the accomplishment record.

Last edited:
Back