What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mechanical Vs chemical crosslink?

bret

Well Known Member
So this question is in regards to the epoxy primer to the base color of a BC paint system. what is the maximum time for the best adhesion, I was told that if I block sand the primer, there is no timeline for applying the base coat, (mechanical) or the time line of shooting primer, sand, and then the base coat for a chemical and mechanical crosslink? I would like to primer, sand, then do the paint scheme moc up over a week or two, then paint the plane. I know you need to do the base and clear within a short time, but what about the primer to base? what say Ye paint experts?

So this question is in regards to the epoxy primer to the base color of a BC paint system. what is the maximum time for the best adhesion, I was told that if I block sand the primer, there is no timeline for applying the base coat, (mechanical) or the time line of shooting primer, sand, and then the base coat for a chemical and mechanical crosslink? I would like to primer, sand, then do the paint scheme moc up over a week or two, then paint the plane. I know you need to do the base and clear within a short time, but what about the primer to base? what say Ye paint experts?

That time for top coat over primer varies and should be stated in the Technical Data Sheet for the primer.

This S-W one is good for 72 hrs before scuffing is needed.

http://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=SWAERO&prodno=CM0483660&doctype=PDS&lang=2

Back