What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Measuring wing incidence on an RV-6

JakeLewis22

Well Known Member
I'm helping a friend check the wing incidence on his flying RV-6. The plans for my 7 have you place one end of a level at the main spar and the other end on a 3" spacer at the rear spar.

My question for you RV-6 builders is, Is that spacer 3" on an RV-6 or is there a different measurement?

3.03 inch spacer

From the RV-6/6A manual:

level the fuselage,
then
"Rest one end of a level on the forward spar at the skin butt joint and the other end on a 3.03" spacer placed directly over the rear spar web....the spacer size has been calculated to provide the desired 1 degree positive incidence angle. Check several points along the span of the wing to verify the level reading."

Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6a finishing

If you want an accurate measurement find a machinist level. I found digital levels are not perfectly accurate when you get down to 1 degree or so. Don

Remember....

The accuracy of the incidence measurement is not as critical as getting both wings the same.

When I did my 7 wings I found if I set them 00 with a digital level (tried four levels by the way) then checked with the machinist level they were off up to 3/16". Don

Back