What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Measuring/fixing toe-in

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
I KNOW that somewhere in the instructions there was something on measuring the wheel toe-in with thread and it gave what the measurements should be but I'll be darned if I can find it. Someone with better memory, help? Measuring from center of the tire to center of the tire, I get about 1/2" wider at the rear of the tire than at the front.

When I replace the tires (as soon as Desser makes some) I'm considering putting a thin washer under the bottom rear mounting bolt (between the gear leg and the axle mount) and a standard one at the front to reduce both camber and toe-in. My concern id that the axle plate will no longer be in contact with the gear leg I'll put undue loads on the bolts. Scott can you weigh in (unoficially, of course)?

Thanks

Wayne 120241/143WM

Same Question (that never got a response)

When I replace the tires (as soon as Desser makes some) I'm considering putting a thin washer under the bottom rear mounting bolt (between the gear leg and the axle mount) and a standard one at the front to reduce both camber and toe-in. My concern id that the axle plate will no longer be in contact with the gear leg I'll put undue loads on the bolts. Scott can you weigh in (unoficially, of course)?

I am attempting to correct for a one degree toe-in only, and wondering if shimming with the use of washers is a bad stressor for the bolts and/or the axle. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Tom

I bought them from Van's

After looking at the installation, Using washers would put all the gear loads on the bolts without any contact between the axle plate and the gear leg. Get the shims that are specific to the RV-8/12; they are a tapered plate with a large hole for the axle and small ones for the bolts-- and they're EXPENSIVE!

Wayne 120241/143WM

Roll over wax paper

Put some wax paper on the floor and roll the aircraft over it. The wax paper sticks more to the tires. (Not scientifically precise but gives you a good heads up)

Last edited:
Shim Ordered

Thanks for your collective input. I did order the 1 degree shim.

Put some wax paper on the floor and roll the aircraft over it.

Brian, can you elaborate a bit more on your comment above for those, like me, who might be unfamiliar with the procedure?

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:
Back