What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

measuring device for emp/wings

Scott Will

Well Known Member
What's a good device to measure when installing the empennage and wings so they are equidistant in relation to the fuse? Instretchable string maybe? Good 'ol tape measure?

Maybe I can get them installed this weekend. At least the emp.

A friend of mine has a plane built by Schumacher.....but I'd still use a tape measure. They are metal and do not stretch, but keep in mind that they do sag a little, since you will be measuring over a distance of about 170 inches or so, depending on your reference points. Try to keep the sag about the same. Measure from the 1 inch makr, not using the clasp at the end of the tape.
Good luck.

I used a metal tape measure with a wire loop on the end to keep everything centered. I had Wiley (RV4 360WS) EAA Advisor on hand to keep me straight.
One point is to have the same person reading the tape at all points. Different eyes see things differently. We wound up with both wings within about 1/8"
of being the same. Measure 14 times & drill once. BTW Ace hardware stocks 12" drill bits to reach the rear spar.

Derrell
RV7A finish
Alpharetta, GA

Here's an old trick from my radio controlled modelling days...

Take a long string and put a piece of masking tape on it. Fold it over the string like a tab as if you were trying to make a little flag. The tape will stick to itself very well, but if you work it once or twice, it'll stop sticking to the string. It'll still be stiff when you slide it up and down, though, so it won't move around when you measure the other side.

Make a little arrow on the masking tape flag. Now, you have a little sliding tab with an alignment mark on it that you can use to precisely compare the stab tips (for example). The beauty of this is that once you do one side, when you go to the other side you can see how much it's off by. Slide the tab to approximately split the difference and move the stab until the tip is on the arrow. This is WAY faster than measuring everything out if all you care about is symmetry (which I think is all you care about....I'm nowhere near doing this yet). When you think you got it, I'd maybe measure it one last time a bit more precisely just to make sure.

There are many different variations here to play with, but having SOMETHING on the string that's easily markable makes stuff like this a piece of cake.

edit: Re: tape measures.
Here's an interesting thing that I discovered recently. The little tab on the end...you know, the one that's never rivetted on right so that it's always really loose, is like that on purpose. It's so you can do inside and outside measurements. The amount it moves is exactly the thickness of the tab itself. Now that I figured it out, it seems obvious, but I wondered about it for years. Maybe I'm the only one that was confused by it but I figured I'd post it anyway just in case there's anyone else out there as scatterbrained as me.

Last edited:
Safety Wire

Someone mentioned unstretchable string?

Well....use a length of safety wire! When I was lining up wings, tails, gear, and fuselage, I would use a length of safety wire, pinned to the centerline at one end, and then stretched left or right to measure the point. You don't really need to know the distance - you want to compare the distances left and right. String stretches, but unless you pull really hard, wire doesn't!

Just one of many solutions...

Paul

Did my empanage a few weeks ago and used steel tape measure with an 1/8" hole drilled in the center at the 2 inch mark. Then used cleco to secure one end of tape to hole in outboard edge of horiz stab (fiberglass tip install hole) and measured to firewall. Did this on each side. Easy one person job and easy to pull enough the eleminate sag.

Step 1, use a steel tape to insure it doesn't stretch. Or use Pauls safety wire method. If you use two tapes make sure they agree! Yup a cheap one I got from you know where did not agree with my "good" one within 3/16 at 170 inches.

Step 2, drop plumb bobs and measure the floor, tapes don't sag lying on the floor and you can read to 1/32.

Larry

I used a tape measure & 4 plumb bobs.
My hangar floor is asphalt so I just pounded a couple of nails and ran a yellow string nail to nail. This provided a nice clean line for the plumb bobs to line up & insure no fwd or aft sweep. The tape measure gives the correction needed to achieve proper alignment.

one method

Drop a plumbob form the leading edge of the wings at the inner portion of the skins. Snap a line between the two points that will extend beyond the wingtips. Drop a plumbob from the center of the fuse and mark that point on the snapped line. Mark the center of the fuse at the rear. Make another mark and snap that line.

Drop plumbobs from the outer edge of the skin on the wings. If this mark is forward of the line move the wings back until everything is straight. Once you have locked in the wings you can measure the horizontal using the rear outer tips of the wing skins as reference points.

You can take triangular measuremnts from the marks and lines on the floor to ensure that you are square. I have used this method several times and it worked like a dream.

Back