What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

McMaster Carr door seals

skychick

I'm New Here
I've found many threads reccomending McMaster doorseals. Been to their web site but I'm not sure what seals to order. What is the advantage of their seals?

Skychick's other

They look great

Don't have the part # for you as I am sitting in San Luis Obispo
waiting to pick up my family in the RV10
You should be able to find it in the forums somewhere.
The big difference is looks, not only but properly done these seals
make for a very tight fit. Having the seal on the exposed edge
adds a beautiful finishing touch to the cabin top.
There is a lot of extra work in this modification but one that does not add weight

The seal you're looking for is part number 1120A411.

I've decided not to go with them in favor of these:
http://www.rvtraining.com/html/atp/html/products_pics.html#DoorSeal

Both work very well and look nice. I just chose these because they're less work, don't involve changing the structure, and I've flown with them in an RV-10 before. They work very well.

Folks flying with the McMaster seals are equally happy with their choice.

Whatever route you choose, just don't choose Van's route unless you like breezes, noise, and the appearance of a Massy Ferguson tractor. :)

Phil

Adhesive?

I have the McMaster Carr seals and really like the look and mostly like their function. I don't recall it being that much extra work. However, my only complaint is with getting them to stay in place. I want them to be removable in the future for replacement, but they need to stick in place better. I've squeezed the grip until it's tight, but they still pull off easily if they are inadvertently grabbed, which happens often. Has anyone used an adhesive that holds well but allows future removal if necessary?

I agree with you. I never did the build-up of the lip, so my mcmaster seal is constantly falling off. It is very easy for people to grab the gutter or hit it with their shoe while getting in the front seats. In retrospect, I think a simple foam seal would be hard to beat and look about the same really. It would also be far far easier to maintain and install compared to the mcmaster seal or van's seal.

My 2c.
Jae

I have the McMaster Carr seals and really like the look and mostly like their function. I don't recall it being that much extra work. However, my only complaint is with getting them to stay in place. I want them to be removable in the future for replacement, but they need to stick in place better. I've squeezed the grip until it's tight, but they still pull off easily if they are inadvertently grabbed, which happens often. Has anyone used an adhesive that holds well but allows future removal if necessary?

I built up the the door frame to be about .25" consistantly around the door frame. I know of at least three others that did something similiarly. The seals will come off, but take some effort.

bob

Epoxy

I just got finished forming the edge by filling the seals with epoxy/flox and putting them on. It is not hard to peal them off afterwards, but they would not come off with a kick or a hit. Try putting them on with a small amount of epoxy.

I had the ones Phil mentioned, the sticky backing dried out and they started to fall off in about 2 years. They worked great but I was dissapointed that adhesive did not last.

I removed them and added the Mcmaster ones before paint. They are durable, cheap, look great and easy to change if they they do get damaged. The doors is now sealed very well.

I love the Mcmaster seals. They look great and work great. They look very
professional and factory installed when done right. I would use them again.
0_0_9ed872937135ea864b1a2b8d764bde57_1

0_0_d8235ed48a8ed18c00e67b44cdebbca1_1

Back