What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

McMaster Carr Bushing

mikemalone

Grateful if anyone could post the catalogue number for the ideal size of McMaster Carr bushing for drilling the elevator horns.

McMaster Carr Failure

So much for McMaster Carr. They seem unable to export to the UK. See their reply below. Oh well, I'll have to seek out another supplier who tries a bit harder.

Michael,
Due to the complexity of U.S. Export regulations, McMaster-Carr has decided to only accept orders from a few, long-established customers of ours overseas. *We will not accept your order and regret any inconvenience this causes you.
Colleen

Mike-
This isn't exactly an answer to your question, but there's no need to waste your time or money ordering a specialized bushing just to drill the control horns. Just take a small piece of excess 1/4" o.d. fuel vent line and drill with whatever size bit fits inside it.
Hope this helps.

I cut a piece of wood the thickness of the gap between the horns, then used a drill press to put a nice straight hole so I could use it as a bushing between the horns. Hope this helps.

I'll lend you mine

Mike,

I didn't know about that policy. It must have come in since I got my bushing.

I just used it again recently for drilling the tip-up canopy hinge necks

You are welcome to a loan of mine. Shoot me a PM with your address and I will put it in today's post. Send it back when you are done.

By the way, there is plenty of advice on picking the aft-most horn and marking for the hole on that one. What they don't tell you is that horn may also be the lower of the two in the vertical plane, giving you edge distance problems when you drill across to the higher one. Ask me how I know this!

If this warning comes too late then the solution is to weld up the holes (TIG & take care to avoid heat distortion conducting through the part) and start again.

So much for McMaster Carr. They seem unable to export to the UK. See their reply below. Oh well, I'll have to seek out another supplier who tries a bit harder.

Michael,
Due to the complexity of U.S. Export regulations, McMaster-Carr has decided to only accept orders from a few, long-established customers of ours overseas. *We will not accept your order and regret any inconvenience this causes you.
Colleen

Yep, had the same response (word for word) for a request to ship one of these to Australia. Am unsure why it is so difficult to complete this export when so many others do it..... Cost / benefit perhaps?

For future reference, you can build a step bushing guide with brass tubes from a hobby store. Just buy all the sizes from the smallest with an ID of 3/32 to as large as you need. Cut them to a length short enough to use with a #40 bit. This gives you many options for drilling different size holes, which comes in extra handy with the stainless firewall. You can see mine here: http://jmjula.home.comcast.net/.../engine_mount_drilling.jpg

Back