What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maximum demonstrated xwind RV-10

Michael Wellenzohn

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi,
I am writing my version 1 of my RV-10s AFM and would like to add the maximum demonstrated wind component.
I know it will be dependent on the pilot skills, however it happened that I just had a max wind on landings of apps 5-8kt so far.
Has there been any number published by Vans?
What are your experience?

Thanks
Mike

I don't know that Vans has any recommendation. On US normally certified aircraft there is a certification rule that it be at least some fraction (I forget what) of the stall speed. It is not considered limiting, nor regulatory.

I think you'll find that the -10 has a very effective and powerful rudder, which makes it a great cross-wind plane. A 15 knot cross wind component is pretty easy to handle; I don't think I've encountered anything higher so far.

I am reluctant to post this for fear of the comments that will follow, but I have despite my skill level, managed a 22G27 at right angles from the left cross wind landing.

Verified by the wind vector prior to touchdown and broadcast by the ATIS. It was a handful for me. Maybe others can do better.

Not for the faint hearted, the windsock was something to see. :eek:

I do not recommend it, but it can be done, and it was risky. I am not sure I would put this in a flight manual.

Michael,
As you noted you'll have to establish your own maximum xwind
component for landing and take off.

I can back up David's story with personal experience, a direct xwing
well over 20 kts is very doable in the RV-10.

And your point of posting this is..........?

I was having the same thoughts as David and did not post a reply earlier
but now that I have company ......

Michael is trying to collect reference points from experienced RV10 drivers
so he can inch closer to establishing his own xwind limits.
That is the point Mr. Hunt!

I don't know that Vans has any recommendation. On US normally certified aircraft there is a certification rule that it be at least some fraction (I forget what) of the stall speed. It is not considered limiting, nor regulatory.

The FAA requires that the Demonstrated Crosswind Component is at least 0.2 of the Vso stall speed.

Would this be about 10 kts. minimum for the RV-10?

Thanks for your input. For explanation I need to write my AFM in order to get the final certificate to fly my RV-10. One part is the maximum demonstrated wind. I have been so far (during test phase) not been allowed to land anywhere else but the the airfield I am based on. And I did not have the chance to fly at stronger xwinds there so far. Once I am allowed to land at other places I will land at stronger xwinds and if I don't feel compfortable I can still opt to go to another airfield close by.
Thanks
Michael

Michael, dont have any numbers for you, but the 10 does handle the cross wind very well.

Last year after AXO's ice cream party, we landed at Rosie's place in Rosamond, and the wind was 45* off from the right, sock sticking straight out---no idea what the wind speed was, but that area is usually pretty windy, enough so that this is a familiar sight in the area.

mojave.plane.jpg

Plenty of rudder to hold straight on the runway center line on final.

............... Michael is trying to collect reference points from experienced RV10 drivers so he can inch closer to establishing his own xwind limits.
That is the point Mr. Hunt!

I need to read the threads a bit more carefully. I was "skimming" through rapidly and missed the intent of the OP. Apologies. :eek:

I agree that 20kts is very doable in the -10. I have landed with that on more than a few occasions. I suspect 25 would be doable, but can not attest to it since I have never had the opportunity.

Michael, I agree with the others that a 20 kt component is very doable in the -10. I imagine that you and I and Fabian experienced close to that while you were here for training! :) It was pretty blustery while you were here, as I recall.

Difficult topic, but it seems my experiences are well backed up. For your AFM maybe use a number like 17 knots for arguments sake, or 20, based on research of others.

Many certified aircraft will say 15 knots but we all know they will do quite a bit more. The Bonanza is a good example.

Not knowing your CofA requirements, but if you have to state what you have demonstrated, can you revise it with more testing?

Great machines the -10.

I have landed in a steady 25 kt direct crosswind at gross weight and had full left rudder to stay aligned in the flare. Later we had 16G25 60 deg off the nose...that one was exciting for the family! My steady direct xw limit is 25 kts and I am pickier when it is gusty.

Flaps up

One thing to consider in gusty x-winds, is to get the flaps coming up as soon as possible after touch down; as you start to slow down and the rudder becomes less effective you may need brakes for alignment. If the aircraft is light on the wheels, you can flat spot a tire pretty fast. Ask me how I know. Blue Skys

I've done 29G35 with direct 90 crosswind. I can tell you that was the limit. I was able to land just fine and maintain the center line with full rudder, but when the gust hits it would blow it off the centerline and there was nothing I could do, but when the gust ended I was able to get it back to the center line.

Thanks

Ray 40250 (1050 Hrs on Hobbs)

Thank you all

I also received an answer from Vans they do not officially state a number but 15kt xwind is what they all have flown. I will however use 20kt as this is what I experienced in Florida with David during my transition training. Thanks David for the numbers. I will verify this once we have a decent xwind here.

Regards
Michael

I have landed in a steady 25 kt direct crosswind at gross weight and had full left rudder to stay aligned in the flare. Later we had 16G25 60 deg off the nose...that one was exciting for the family! My steady direct xw limit is 25 kts and I am pickier when it is gusty.
I'm not really aware of how cross wind limits are determined but I've been of the opinion that as a practical matter on many airplanes, the limit is the xwind requiring full rudder deflection to stay aligned in a forward slip at a touchdown attitude and speed. Sort of what is described above (nice job Wayne!).

The difficult part is wind gradient. Wind gradient is generally your friend in real life situations but makes it difficult to determine the actual xwind at touch down on any given landing.

I'm thinking that with the right conditions (stable air, strong steady wind) one could use a well calibrated EFIS to determine the wind at say 1,000 AGL, then fly various courses in the right slow flight configurations to determine how much xwind component can be handled in a full rudder deflection forward slip. That could provide a max figure for a 'normal' xwind landing.

Just brainstorming here. Not sure that anything beyond a conservative 15 or 20 knots is needed.

I agree that 20kts is very doable in the -10. I have landed with that on more than a few occasions. I suspect 25 would be doable, but can not attest to it since I have never had the opportunity.

I concur. :D

The 10 easily touches down on one wheel to stop drift and has enough rudder authority to maintain direction control without adding too much brake. It is actually quite fun to do. Technique is everything, having broken a wheel pant due to side loading, many moons ago. :eek:

Back