What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Max side to side stick travel

Camillo

Well Known Member
Hi. I bought Tosten manufacturing stick grips and installed the pilot one.
I installed a U-channel under the stock panel as a toggle switch bar. Engine bracket accordingly was installed under that bar. So, actually I have engine controls approx. 2 1/2'' under Van's design location.

I thought this would not have been a problem, but it may be.
I installed elevators with stops and found that when going full right and then full pitch down (Forward), my grip will give full engine throttle.

This is very dangerous; but I was wondering if actually right travel will be that far. So, since I have not installed wings, yet, I tried to measure bellcrank travel from neutral to full stop and it seems it is 1 6/32''. I then tried to verify right stick stop and it seems that my throttle is cleared for approx. 1 inch.

My first question is: does someone know exact RV9 degree deflection on roll movement? I read on this forum a 20? movement, but it was for a RV6.

I can still play with neutral stick alignment. Elevator bellcrank is neutral and forward rods are slightly more than half unscrewed (I don't want to unscrew them any more). Stick is slightly forward. In order to let it move aft, may I unscrew aft pushrod? Making this, the upper part of the bellcrank will move aft. I guess this will not affect elevator control, because actual max travel is not so wide. On the other side, manual says to align it neutral. So I was wondering if there is any particular reason for this.

Thanks.
Camillo

I'm sorry I can't answer your question about side to side movement as I didn't measure that when I first trial fitted the wings. I do have a question for you. I also bought the Tosten grip and was wondering how much you cut off the stick to make the Tosten the right height for you. You have a great website too. Wish I could read Italian.:)

You'll cut the sticks to miss the engine controls. The lengths of different grip models can vary quite a bit. If your thumb is on top of the grip for any control, then figure that in too.

In reality, except for doing any type of aerobatics (restricted on 9's), the required stick travel from left to right is far less than what's there. In other words...............you'll only move the stick an inch or two each way for turns, etc. But you still need to install the setup for full stick travel.

My 6A has a two inch sub panel.

L.Adamson

I'm sorry I can't answer your question about side to side movement as I didn't measure that when I first trial fitted the wings. I do have a question for you. I also bought the Tosten grip and was wondering how much you cut off the stick to make the Tosten the right height for you. You have a great website too. Wish I could read Italian.:)

Hi, rv9aviator and thanks for your compliments. I will add some brief translation when I will have some time available.

I cut about 7'' off the sticks. If I well recall, 5'' are replaced by grips. I have to add that I have a 2'' under-panel (the U-channel which came with QB fuse), so if you don't have it, you may cut stick less. I followed Mike Schipper website for exiting wire bundle (45? hole in the pivot point of stick). I will add installation photos on my website ASAP.

That grips create a slight problem because they are not straight, but angled towards the panel. This is to accomodate the natural position of the hand, which is not 90? with arm. On the other side, this will make distance between gripa and panel and controls an issue.

Regards.
Camillo

Just added photos ("Finishing" section)

On the w.e. I will add some more and a short description.
Ciao.
Camillo

Back