What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mating flat beacon base to curved fuselage surface

scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
Gang,
I searched for any previous thread...no luck. I'm mounting Aveo Red Baron anti-collision beacons on the top and bottom of my fuselage. The problem: The beacon's base is flat, but the top of the fuselage is curved. Aveo didn't provide an interface plate.
Any tricks out there to mating these flush? Fabricate a plate out of appropriately-thick sheet alclad?

Check Ironflight

Don't know how to link to the thread, but check Ironflight's advice and example on this very subject. The thread he started on this is: RV-3: A Flat Antenna on a Curved Skin

Hope this helps!

Why not mount the upper beacon on top of the vertical stab. Here is what I did: I cut the stab tip and glassed the beacon into the tip. The tip is bulged around the beacon, not too bad however.

IMG_2094edit.jpg

That was my original plan...

...however, I don't want the beacon flashing onto my panel, which I fear will happen with it stuck up there high. Therefore, I'm mounting them on top and bottom just forward of the 707 bulkhead. No line-of-sight issues with the cockpit (and hopefully the prop disc).

Back