What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco Parking Brake

I have heard a few pilots over here complain that the Matco Parking brake valve regularly leaks fluid.

Has any one else had this experience?

I was considering such valve until I received some negative vibes.

hi,
we're happy so far with the valve itself.

the problem was that, when we installed it, we had to use 90? an elbow fittings that screw into the valve with the npt pipe thread, yet you need to reach a certain final orientation. this was a major problem to get it leak-free as well as in the right direction. one fitting had to be "glued" in place with special hydraulic/water thread sealant that is commonly used with large hydraulic installations.

also, there could be a problem with the seals if you use other than aviation brake fluid, like automotive dot fluid. better check for that as well if you intend to do so.

kind regards,
bernie

The older style valves were prone to internal leaks. We experienced this on the Cozy MKIV and spent a lot of time tracking the problem down. It has since been replaced with the new style modular valve which has been trouble free. I just picked one up at a good price here on the forum for my -10. No way I want a plane without the option of having a parking brake valve to use in certain situations.

Back