What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MATCO Parking Brake Install Question

Sparky

Well Known Member
I'm just starting the fuselage on my RV-7 and am almost to the point of preparing the firewall for riveting. I plan to install the optional MATCO parking brake valve.

While reviewing the archives, it seems most builders use the standard brake line firewall penetration location and stiffener plate (F610TD) specified in the plans. Since I haven't drilled the holes yet, I found that if I lower the firewall penetration location by about 1 1/2" I can mount the parking brake valve directly above 90-degree AN bulkhead fittings (and below the cross brace stiffener angles) using very short (about 2"), lengths of 1/4" straight aluminum tubing between the valve and the AN bulkhead fittings. This would avoid having to run tubing over the cross brace stiffener angles. Also this would allow me to fabricate a larger (vertically longer) stiffener plate (in place of the F610TD) on which I would mount the valve, AN bulkhead fittings, and cable bracket and would utilize the existing prepunched rivet holes in the firewall (plus some addition ones).

It appears that by lowering the firewall penetration point by only 1 1/2" I would still have plenty of clearance on the FWF side and clear the engine mount, braces, etc. It also appears that I would not create any interferrence problems with the rudder or brake pedals.

Am I overlooking something? Does anyone see any problems with this plan?

Paul I did not use the bracket. I just ran the brake lines all the way to the parking brake. Two less fittings to worry about. I mounted the parking brake high on the firewall similar to Dan Checkoway. Made it easy to run the cable to it. My .02 I did have to shorten the prefab lines that go to the cylinders.

Mine's a Taildragger

Thanks for the replies.

Peter, I did see that thread and what I am considering is similar to the way Dave Parsons did it in the referenced thread -- except his installation is for an RV-7A where the brake lines do not penetrate the firewall as they do in a taildragger. My valve would mount slightly higher than his, but the brake lines would have to penetrate the firewall about 1 1/2" lower than per plans. I need to know if there would be any interference problems with the taildragger version on either side of the firewall by doing this.

Nothing there.

Paul,
If you mount the Park brake where the lines penetrate the Firewall (as on the plans) they enter the engine bay on the most UNcluttered section of the firewall.
Pete.
brakelinesfwfhg4.jpg

Back