What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco front axle

vbpiper

Well Known Member
Installed the Matco front axle this evening, as well as the extended cap screws for the Bogi- Bar. Adjusting the torque to prevent rotation of the seals was a piece of cake with the axle. Not flying yet, so we will see how it goes.
Anyone here flying with the Matco axle on the new nose wheel fork? I would be interested in real- life experience.
Thanks.

When I had a nose gear, I used both & was very happy with it.
The axle seemed to give additional stability & less wobble.

I have had Matco axle on mine for about two years now and love it. The pre-load torque has been set once and I can torque the axle bolt/nut without any fear of binding. The wheel turns freely and a video of my nose wheel showed hardly any oscillation. Very happy with it and recommend it highly, especially with a rather inexpensive cost.

The 9A I purchased a few weeks ago has the Matco axle on the current version of the fork. It seems to roll well with no obvious oscillation (though I haven't seen it from the outside).

I also put in the Bogert towpin extenders, or I should say, I helped a little as two experienced RV folks enlarged the towpin holes and installed the extenders. To get the Bogi bar to slide all the way over the extenders, we had to move the lock washers more to the inside, inboard from the bushing. If it's lined up well, a 7/8" hole in the pant is sufficient for the 3/4" O.D. Bogi bar foot. The Bogi bar-extender pin combo works very well.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. My one concern was whether I got the axle nut tight enough. The bearing rings do not turn with the wheel (stay stationary in relation to the axle), but I could only get it hand tight as there is no apparent way to use any type of wrench. I pulled the plane around some with the tow bar to check for rotation of the bearings and I THINK it is OK. Any tips on what else to look for down the road? :confused:

Matco Axle

I have the Matco Axle on my -10 and there is a SB from Matco that shows how to cut back half of the rubber seal on the bearing and the wheel will turn better. I did it on the -10 and it really freed up the wheel. As for torque on the axle 'nut', I used channel locks to get it snug. It is a much better set up that the stock axle.

I looked over the Matco site and didn't see parts listing by aircraft model. How do you figure out which axles and wheels are appropriate for an RV-7A?

Thanks!
Russ

Link

Russ,
It is the WHLAXLE24 (can't get the link to paste on this stupid iPad. Must be the iPad that is stupid, not me :rolleyes:)

Before first flight, I dumped the puck and installed the Matco axle "fix". I don't recall anything about cutting rubber or seals not turning in the instructions. Help a guy out here.

Matco SB

Hi Bob, go to Matco site Tech Support, then SB's. Look for Taper Roller Bearing Preload and all the info is there.

I installed Matco axle and found that the face of the rubber bearing seal was still providing some resistance and wanted to turn the bearing. I tightened the axle until the bearing stopped turning (it is reasonably snug). I considerred trimming one of the two seal lips to provide less resistance but decided to leave them in place. I'm not flying yet but I am hoping it will free up a bit with some wear.

I installed the Matco axel about a year ago and find it works very well. I didn't have to do any trimming on the seals. This is on an RV6A. If I had to do it over again, I think I would opt for Perftec sealed bearings and wheel mod even though it does cost quite a bit more. The idea of sealed bearings without ever having to grease again is appealing and those that have had it done seem to love it.

I had changed to the Matco axle before the PerfTech mod was available. The Matco mod seems to be working very well and I'm not inclined to make a change at this point.

Dan

I installed the Matco axel about a year ago and find it works very well. I didn't have to do any trimming on the seals. This is on an RV6A. If I had to do it over again, I think I would opt for Perftec sealed bearings and wheel mod even though it does cost quite a bit more. The idea of sealed bearings without ever having to grease again is appealing and those that have had it done seem to love it.

My RV isn't flying yet, but I had this nosewheel mod done on mine by AntiSplat Aero and I'm very pleased with it. The idea of maintenance-free bearings was very appealing to me. It's very nice. You can grab the wheel after you torque it down and give it a spin, and it spins freely for a long time. Less drag seems like a very good thing; especially on the nose wheel. I know it costs more than the Matco solution, but there's much more to it. For the money you spend, you also get your tire balanced on the wheel, and the tire trued to perfectly round. It's surprising how out-of-round most of these tires are. So I think it's a good value. It all leads to less vibration, shimmy, etc. There's a very informative YouTube video here, for those interested in learning more:

Wheel mod, tire trueing, balancing

I'm debating whether to get the Grove wheel and having the Anti-Splat procedure done or just do the Anti Splat mod on the Vans supplied wheel. A chunk of cash for a bit lighter wheel. Probably just send the stock wheel in. :)

I'm debating whether to get the Grove wheel and having the Anti-Splat procedure done or just do the Anti Splat mod on the Vans supplied wheel. A chunk of cash for a bit lighter wheel. Probably just send the stock wheel in. :)

I had that same debate in my mind. I went with the stock Matco wheel. No regrets. :)

Just catching up with this thread. Is the stock nosewheel on the 7a a MATCO manufactured wheel?

Bob,

Vans used Cleveland wheels and brakes at one time, but then switched over to Matco. So it depends on when you bought your kits. My equipment is all Matco, including the nosewheel. Matco is the new "standard" stuff.

FWIW, My Finishing Kit was purchased in April, 2011.

I did some more checking on this this week with Ken Scott. It turns out ALL RV-7s/7As have Matco wheels. The changeover from Cleveland happened before the 7 was introduced, he reports.

Installed the Matco front axle this evening, as well as the extended cap screws for the Bogi- Bar. Adjusting the torque to prevent rotation of the seals was a piece of cake with the axle. Not flying yet, so we will see how it goes.
Anyone here flying with the Matco axle on the new nose wheel fork? I would be interested in real- life experience.
Thanks.

From where do you get the extended cap screws? What exactly are they called? I have searched Matco, Bogert, and Aircraft Spruce.

The MATCO SB is really poorly worded. It says tightening the nut and then backing off to allow the wheel to spin more freely will not work. But other than cutting the seal, which it acknowledges may invite contamination of the bearings, it doesn't say what will. At least as I read it.

Back