What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco brake safetys?

BDHAWK

My finish kit came with Matco brakes. The book and plans still only refer to the Cleveland brakes. The RV7A manual states to Saftey the brake pad bolts but the bolts supplied with the Matco brakes are not drilled for Safteys. Do I need to drill the bolts or just not safety them. They do come with locking washers but that is still not a safety in my book.

I would replace the bolts with ones that have safety wire holes. The gear move around quiet a bit on landing.

.Cleveland brakes have both safetied and unsafetied types. If the bolts supplied were not drilled, don't sweat it. They do not come loose.....ever.

My finish kit came with Matco brakes. The book and plans still only refer to the Cleveland brakes. The RV7A manual states to Saftey the brake pad bolts but the bolts supplied with the Matco brakes are not drilled for Safteys. Do I need to drill the bolts or just not safety them. They do come with locking washers but that is still not a safety in my book.

When you torque them down, wait until you see how hard they are to get off. Those lock washers do just what they say.

They are definitely are not easy to take back off. One of my concerns was thar the DAR might want them to have a safety but since the Cleveland's also come that way then I don't think that will be a problem. Thanks for everyone's help, this site is a lot of help but it's the people on here that make it great!

Norlocks washers?

They made a change to Norlock washers a while back, if that's what you have then no safety wire. Give them a call if your not sure, or google Norlocks and see if that's what you have, but basically the washers have a pawl like profile that prevents loosening.
Tim
Dues paid 2013

I did my Matco wheels, brakes, and so on a while back, too. Whenever I saw any slight deviations from what was in the Vans manual, I went with what was in the Matco manual. I figured it trumps Vans. These people designed these things and they must know what they're doing. :)

For the 30 years I had my Warrior, the brake bolts were never safety wired. Bolts were always tight during removal. Star washers were used.

Back