What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco Brake PIREP ???

kevinsrv7.com

Well Known Member
Hey All,

I just inventoried my finish kit with a fellow builder and he noticed that my kit came with Matco wheels and brakes while his kit (and all those previous) came with Cleveland's.

I have searched the forums and discovered (thank you Bruce Hill) that there are subtle installation differences such as needing to modify the wheel pant bracket.

Q) Is anyone flying these wheels and brakes and if so, how are they comparing to the Clevelands?

???

matco

My kit came with matco wheels and brakes also. I am not flying yet, but I have installed them and done the wheel pants on my 8. I have not had any problems or issues with the installation. Only problem I have is finding the proper torque on the three bolts that hold the wheel halves together. I just went with the standard torque values for now. I have not called Matco yet. I asked on here but no replies. I am pleased with matco they seem to be of high quality.

bird

I was recently at Vans and spoke to one of the guys about the Matco wheels. Mine came with them, too. He said this was a very good move for all of us. Matco is a company that offers very high quality products, and they are smaller and more responsive to the individual. I felt very good about what I heard.

Only problem I have is finding the proper torque on the three bolts that hold the wheel halves together. I just went with the standard torque values for now. I have not called Matco yet. I asked on here but no replies. I am pleased with matco they seem to be of high quality.

bird

Bird,

The torque value on those wheel bolts turns out to be 100 inch pounds. I can't remember where I found it, off the top of my head, but I was able to verify that.

Matco vs Cleveland

For those that have flow both Matco and Cleveland brakes, how do the brakes compare in effectiveness?

Grove is a great option too

I'm really happy with my upgraded (dual piston) Grove brakes and the wheels that came in the kit.

Matco wheel halves

Has anyone put a small grommet
On the intertube where it comes through the wheel half. I know the instructions say no nut but what is to keep the valve stem from continuously
Hitting the rim
Thanks in advance
Smilin' Jack

For those that have flow both Matco and Cleveland brakes, how do the brakes compare in effectiveness?

Great question. The Matco's are a bit cheaper than the Cleveland's, so I'm also wondering how they compare. I have the original Cleveland's in my RV-4, but the are mounted upside down and need flipped. I can flip the Cleveland's, but the pedals will require a modification....OR, I can buy new Matco's and they will bolt right in with the pistons/springs pointing up.

Great question. The Matco's are a bit cheaper than the Cleveland's, so I'm also wondering how they compare. I have the original Cleveland's in my RV-4, but the are mounted upside down and need flipped. I can flip the Cleveland's, but the pedals will require a modification....OR, I can buy new Matco's and they will bolt right in with the pistons/springs pointing up.

I have Cleveland and Matco master cylinders. While they both appear to be high quality, I like the return springs on the Clevelands. I haven't decided which I will use. I need to dig out the Matco's but I don't think they come with return springs.

Bird,

The torque value on those wheel bolts turns out to be 100 inch pounds. I can't remember where I found it, off the top of my head, but I was able to verify that.

Bruce,
I just torqued my wheels--I can verify your verification. The 100 in/lb value comes from the Matco wheel/brakes manual in the box.

Back