What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco Brake Pad/Caliper Misalignment

Sleepy

Sponsor
I have Matco's High Energy WHLWE51HE brakes on my new RV-8. The brakes were dragging a bit, and in the process of diagnosing the problem, I discovered the brake pads extend past the outer edge of the rotor (see photo). I sent this into Matco and followed up with a phone call, but I haven't heard anything back yet. I went through and reviewed the installation instructions to verify that everything was put in its proper place and everything appears to be installed correctly. I'm going to pull the entire assembly apart today and double check part numbers, but beyond that, I can't imagine what the problem might be. Has anybody run into this issue before? Suggestions?

IMG_1667.jpeg

Mine look the same. the area of the overhang is small. Just the corner. I didn’t detect any drag from it. I got about 400 landings on the first set before they were at minimum thickness.

As a general statement mine, and many others I know, brakes drag a little after landing/ push back in hanger. Audible only to most, no impact on directional control, or effectiveness. Describe your “dragging“ . Being outside the rotor doesn’t seem applicable to your concern to me

As a general statement mine, and many others I know, brakes drag a little after landing/ push back in hanger. Audible only to most, no impact on directional control, or effectiveness. Describe your “dragging“ . Being outside the rotor doesn’t seem applicable to your concern to me
Butch,
On a cold airplane, it was taking 1500 RPM to get the airplane moving and 1200 to keep it moving. This was clearly not normal. I believe most of the issue was related to weak springs inside the master cylinders. Even with the master cylinders disconnected from the pedals, they would only extend to about 5/16s of an inch short of full extension. When I pulled the airplane back into the hangar and open the bleeder valve, it is clear that the system was still under pressure.

I’m in the process of rebuilding master cylinders. I’m also going to use a full length bolt across the back of the pedal (custom pedal that will allow me to do this). That should keep the geometry between the bolt and the master cylinder square. I’m also going to add an exterior spring (common mod) between the top of the master cylinder and the pedal attachment point. This should take care of any geometry issues that may have been an impeding full extension.

As for the caliper/pad alignment I agree that it’s likely not creating much drag, but it is putting a groove in one of the pads. If you look closely, the wheel side pad is chipping.

Over the years I’ve been very happy with Matco’s products. I’m just surprised by the misalignment and I want to make sure there’s nothing hazardous in this configuration.

Back