What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Master Brake Cylinder attachment to Rudder Pedal Question

glider4

Well Known Member
I'm working on an 8A QB fuselage. I'm putting together the rudder pedal and brake assembly. The reference I'm looking at is Vans Drawing #34. That Drawing shows a Cleveland Master Cylinder with a 1/4" diameter shaft in the main illustration and a Matco Master Cylinder in Section A-A. I have the Matco which has a 3/8" diameter shaft.
The bolt call out in Detail D to attach the cylinder shaft to the rudder pedal is an AN3-10. There is NO way a AN3-10 is long enough. Just measuring the bolt in the full scale Detail D shows it to be a AN3-13 bolt. And that is with the smaller Cleveland 1/4" cylinder shaft. I'm guessing the correct bolt should be an AN3-16 for use with the wider Matco 3/8" cylinder shaft.
My second problem is that the AN3 bolts will not fit through the pre-drilled hole on the Matco Cylinder shaft. The threaded parts go through but not the unthreaded shaft of an AN3-13 or longer bolt. Do you drill out the hole in the Matco shaft? Doing that makes me very nervous.
What have you done here?

Albert Thomas
N880AT (reserved)
RV-8A QB (fuselage)

Albert,

I would use a reamer to ream out the hole to the right diameter for the AN3 bolt. Use whatever length bolt is appropriate. Van's bolt and rivet length callouts are sometimes wrong.

Back