What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maryland transition training

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Just getting back from our transition training session with Joe Czachorowski in St. Mary's, Maryland. Joe has one of Van's demonstrator RV-10's and I guess he would be called a satelite training facility? Three out of four build partners arrived at St. Mary's Monday morning for what turned out much different than we expected. First of all I must express the pleasure we all felt with Joe's professionalism. He was on time, prepared and eager to get to work. We completed the ground work quickly as one speech covered all three students at the same time. He allowed one of us in the back at all times to observe.
What was different than we all expected. (1) Had the impression by reading that with the high air speed of the RV-10, slowing down for landing took some time and space. We were powering back on the entry into down wind, and then increasing the prop RPM and arriving to flap deployment speed in no time.(2)Also with the high speed, we pictured much larger patterns ( we are all STOL pilots). (3) We were not expecting the steep approaches ( similiar approach to our Supercubs).
N220RV has 210 hp, so ours might be a little different. We are all very happy we got some transition training, could not be happier with Joe and would recommend him highly.
Our RV-10 is painted and ready for final inspection, problem is, our seat belts from Hooker Harnesses are stuck/lost at customs since May 23rd. Hooker has put a trace but has been informed the trace could take up to 21 days. I do believe I specified shipping via USPS as that has been our prefered method of shipping for the entire build. Of coarse the larger items were not shipped USPS. For us in Canada the postal service has cut our shipping expenses at least in half and it usually only takes a couple days extra. I don't know what our options are for belts, we will have to look into this next week, as we want to get into the air before summer leaves us.
Thanks Joe, your new pals in Nova Scotia

Congratulations, Ron....

...but you'll be wildly impressed with the neck-wrenching acceleration of an IO-540 in a -10....come fly mine.

As with the Cirrus 20, 210 HP is not quite enough for such a large airplane...two of my friends jointly own a Cirrus 20 on my airport and on a hot day, it's basically a two-place airplane.

For all you Southern guys and gals building -10's, I'm available here in Louisville, Ga (2J3).

Best,

Back