What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

marker beacon antenna position

jay.pearlman

Well Known Member
Has anyone put a marker beacon antenna in the fibreglass fairing between the wing and the fuselage, maybe a copper strip or something else?

That is where I installed mine in my -10. I used a Comant and hung it out into the fairing a few inches with 1 sf of aluminum plate to act as a ground plain and attached to the end wing rib. Mine is not flying yet but I do not think I will have any issues with it there. I don't see why you could not use the copper foil embedded in the bottom of the bottom of the wing tip fairing. We used all copper foil antennas embedded in the glass of the Cozy MKIV and they work great, including the MB!

Leave it on the shelf?

I was wondering the same thing and I checked with someone much more experienced than I. It was suggested I find out if these are still required so I phoned Transport Canada and was told that the marker beacon transmitters are no longer being maintained in Canada.

My antenna is staying on the shelf.

Don't know if this is the same in the U.S. but you might want to check.

Mine is installed in the wing tip and it is working very well. I flew some approaches today and when it start beeping, my buddy had a concern look on his face ... oh what is that!!!! thinking some thing is wrong.

Anyway, it will work just fine in the wing tip.

Archer antenna

I used an Archer Localizer antenna in one wing tip and an Archer NAV antenna in the other. Was simple to install and both work well. By the way, the Archer antenna works like a charm to pickup the localizer and is spot on. There has been some discussion that it might not be accurate.

I used a 40" length of coax with the shielding stripped off, and installed it in the wingtip of the 10. I just laid it in the bottom of the tip with one layer of glass cloth over it and a female BNC on the forward end. It works really well. I would agree that it probably isn't needed anymore, as the GPS's usually depict the OM, but I like having it go off right at the inner marker, which usually is pretty close to DH/minimums.

Vic

Has anyone tried putting their marker beacon antenna down (and up I'm guessing) one of their gear leg fairings?

I'm struggling with the idea of running a whole new line of coax all the way out to my wingtip just for a marker beacon that I bet I NEVER use... Heck it doesn't even have to work that well! I would think picking up the beacon for 5 seconds when I'm right over it wouldn't take much precise antenna positioning and the gear leg would be OK.

Let me know what you've tried!

- Peter

Thre is a TON of P-Static on my gear legs. I had to move my COM ant because of that very problem....I would not put anything on them....just my two cents.:)

Back