What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Marker Beacon and Nav antenna coupler

Wicked Stick

Well Known Member
What do I need (hardware-wise) so I can connect both my Marker Beacon and the Nav coax to the same wing tip antenna?

I seem to recall some sort of small box that both coaxial cables go into and the singe out goes to the antenna ?

Antenna splitter

I believe you are thinking of an antenna splitter. A splitter divides the available rf energy from an antenna between two receivers, degrading receiver performance compared to dedicated antennas for each receiver. A splitter is usually used to connect two nav receivers to a single antenna. Better for you to have two antennas. A marker antenna can be pretty simple because the transmitter is never far away. A piece of RG58 coax with the shield pulled back over the insulation, placed in a wing tip, will work. Look on rvproject.com for specifics regarding the length, it is about 40 inches as I recall. I don't think the length will be critical in this application. Nav and marker beacon antennas can coexist inside of the same wingtip.

Are you talking about....

What do I need (hardware-wise) so I can connect both my Marker Beacon and the Nav coax to the same wing tip antenna?

I seem to recall some sort of small box that both coaxial cables go into and the singe out goes to the antenna ?

VOR and Marker Beacons.... or VOR and LOC/GS antennae inputs?

If it's the second (more common) then you might need a splitter box (depends on your nav/com unit)

This unit CI-507 Single VOR/GS Diplexer on this page would do it...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/com_couplers3.php

If it really is the Marker Beacon, then go with the seperate antenna as mentioned above.

Back