What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

March Flying Magazine reminds us how good the -10 is

Flying again!

Well Known Member
Flying has an article on the Mooney 201 in the March issue (they have had a lot of Mooney articles over the past couple of years--strange for a company no longer making a/c). Anyway, the reference a flight report from MAPA showing they got 162 KTAS out of a 201 at 7000 ft, 2500 rpm, wot, and burning 11.5 gph.

In my -10 with an O-540 with mags (so no real LOP operation), I consistently average 11.2 gph at 168 KTAS at 7500 and 8500 at 2300 rpm in flights to/from the DFW area and Harlingen Texas. I averaged this over 4 round trips. This is also while staying low until I clear the class B airspace. Combine that with eased maintenance with down and bolted gear, at least 200 pound useful load advantage and much more room, it is no contest. As a bonus it has a real stick! Got to luv the -10!!

I was seriously looking for a 231 or 252. Only the 252 seems to have a slight edge on the -10 but that's at O2 altitude. For my typical 400-600 nm range the -10 is as fast and can carry my family, full fuel and 100 pounds of baggage. In the 252 it was not a true 4 place a/c as you have to reduce fuel so much to carry 4 adults and baggage.

Just a reminder of what amazing planes we have:)

It really is a great aircraft...

Totally agree. I'm getting the same numbers. Fantastic!

Just a note, I'm running LOP to get those numbers. Two mags, factory setup. I've been tuning my injectors but was able to get those numbers before tuning. I would submit that LOP doesn't require electronic ignition or injector tuning - just knowledge.... knowledge that you apparently have.

The ability to legally and cheaply tune with aftermarket experimental injectors is gravy baby!

Fly on!
Bill "going down to the hangar today to exchange 2 injectors" Watson

And no prop clearance

That was 162 KTAS. Yes it is 200hp, but has retractable gear, and has a higher fuel burn for 6 KTAS slower while carrying less and with a much smaller cabin.....

And, Mooney has the prop is so close to the ground that you would not dare use it for austere fields. Look at the amazing places people have landed RV-10's.

...Mooney comparison cont.

..and not just 'landed'... after getting 10 hours in a 201 I decided that I couldn't risk operating one out of my home field 8NC8. Too short on hot days and perhaps too rough for those retracts. The Mooneys are great aircraft but while very efficient, the 201s like a good smooth runway. Everything is a compromise but thev'10 is a particularly good one.

Back