What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual trim tab adjustment

Hawkeye7A

Well Known Member
I know this has been gone over before but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for with the various searches. I've got all the control surfaces installed and am very close to first engine start. (Probably next weekend). I've gone through the instructions multiple times and I can't for the life of me find a spec for how much up vs. down movement the elevator trim tab should have. All of the control surfaces meet spec. At this point if I turn the knob all the way in and then back it out three full turns (approx. 10 turns stop to stop) that sets my trim tab neutral with the left elevator. This implies that I will have more down trim tab (elevator up) which I believe is in the ballpark. Ballparks are on the ground and I want this thing right before I take to the air! Any info or thoughts would be appreciated.

That is more than you will need. If you turn that thing more than one full turn, you have used a LOT of trim.

Set it in trail for your first flight and you should be fine.

To know where it should be prior to take off, set the trim in trail, then sit in the plane and then measure how far out the trim knob is with your finger. In my case, the takeoff setting is the distance from the ring at the bracket to the big knuckle on my index finger.

Can't say for a Seven, but my 9A 'structions say the trim tab should be capable of 25 degrees up movement and 35 degrees down. But Bill is right ... dialing in anything close to that much trim on an RV is inconceivable.

I know this has been gone over before but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for with the various searches. I've got all the control surfaces installed and am very close to first engine start. (Probably next weekend). I've gone through the instructions multiple times and I can't for the life of me find a spec for how much up vs. down movement the elevator trim tab should have. All of the control surfaces meet spec. At this point if I turn the knob all the way in and then back it out three full turns (approx. 10 turns stop to stop) that sets my trim tab neutral with the left elevator. This implies that I will have more down trim tab (elevator up) which I believe is in the ballpark. Ballparks are on the ground and I want this thing right before I take to the air! Any info or thoughts would be appreciated.

The instructions for the -8 say 35 degrees tab down (nose up) and 25 degrees tab up (nose down).

Thanx!

I appreciate the timely responses. Sounds like just a couple of turns on the cable bracket/cover should do the trick.

Back