What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual Trim Cable Routing w. Airflow Perf Pump

Fred H.

I'm New Here
Anybody got a solution to the problem of routing the manual trim tab cable past the Airflow Performance fuel filter into the spar holes?? The tube from the filter to the pump is in the way of the cable as I try to put it through the holes in the spar.

I have a 7 and I run my cable underneath the alum brackets that hold the unit to the bracket. I have not had any interference with my cable.

I had a similar issue, it all depends on the exact position and shape of the tubes you built. First, I got a longer cable, and it now runs under the pump floor and through the spar hole on the CO-Pilot side. There's an old thread on it someplace.

Larry

The easiest thing is to order an "8" cable, which, I think is about 10" longer. It gives you a little more "wriggle room" to snake it past the "spaghetti of the pump." Plus, even if you were able to go straight somewhere, the Airflow pump results in you -- well, sorry, "me" -- being about 10" short in the back of the plane.

I wish I'd just sent the 7 cable back and exchanged it for the 8 because when I struggled to fit it and route it, it got dinged up pretty bad (cosmetically speaking).

Last edited:
Go for the longer cable

I had no problem with interference with the pipe as I ran it underneath the pump attachment plate.
However I did have a problem in that, because of the pump, the cable wasn't long enough to go over the top of the pump cover. In the end I put a hole and routed it through the cover, but all this would have been much easier had I just got the longer cable.
This didn't come to light untill final assembly at the airport.

Peter

However I did have a problem in that, because of the pump, the cable wasn't long enough to go over the top of the pump cover. all this would have been much easier had I just got the longer cable.
This didn't come to light untill final assembly at the airport.

Peter

Oh oh.... I've routed my -9A cable the same way, but haven't mounted the tail feathers yet to know the consequences. Sounds like I may be in for the same kind of trouble........

Does vans ever improve their instructions???

You have to be kidding me. I have their afp fi kit, of course it didnt come with enough fuel lines, so i ordered more. They decided against my clear instructions to 3 day ship, and sent it overnight so $200 in parts cost me $130 in shipping! I called and they dont care that they made an error, thats life, and they have other callers on hold. NOW i am working on my manual trim cable mounting on top of the fi install and find that i have to order a different one, cause the one they provide doesnt fit with FI. Could they not NOTE this in instructions!! What gives, order everything through them, spend a fortune and have no issues learning...but geez, now that I have installed the afp fi, installed and mounted the trim cable etc...and read here that now...i have to order one that will actually work.....and completely redo all of this with a new cable. That should be another $1-200 with shipping and a few hours wasted. That stinks. I would not have even known this till airport final assembly if i had not read these old threads. UGGH

Why cant some creative builder do up a more detailed and thorough set of plans with pictures and part number and blue prints that are closer to correct...insert a few build tips and sell it. I would much rather be out a few more dollars than completely waste my time redoing something twice and buying parts twice. GEEEEEZ. Ok better now. I really have not been happy with their customer service on a few issue or their instructions. It seems they could so easily improve it. When you email tech support its always a cut and pasted answer. They get the same questions and could easily save a ton of their time and money by clearing up some things. OK better now, back to the build.

Last edited:
The Airflow pump is an option. It's not standard equipment. You want Van's instructions to take into account all of the various options that homebuilders have the ability to add?

Anytime a builder adds non-standard equipment, evaluating how it fits with the design as presented has to be considered.

Yes.
Ha ha, its just so FRUSTRATING having to redo...when a simple tip could have saved so much time. My father and I just look, first in disbelief....then shake our heads,smile and build on, certainly not the first time. Its like its a right of passage. So many times. Its like the fuel lines for the FI. Tell me it wouldnt take them maybe 10 minutes to bend those for you. Instead they bend one as kind of a tease, and give you three very short, all mangled scraps you are to try and sculpt into art. Just seems like its to annoy me. Arrrgghhh, oh well. Just had to vent...hope it saves another builder the aggravation if they see the issue ahead of time. Might be the time to switch to electric trim. Hmmmm

I have the stock cable on my 7 and it fits fine. I ran mine on top of the bracket next to the filter. I did have to cut a slot on the front of the cover but since it's in front you can't see it. Making the fuel pump lines is great practice for doing the rest of the fuel system and you only ruin short pieces of tubing. I have flown over 10 different RVs and the manual trim is the only way to go. Don

AFP Booster Pump Kit

Rick, LMAO
That is the exact same thing I said to myself when I looked at 3 short pieces of scrap Al tubing. I said, yea right.

Thanks folks, I was wondering about how the manual trim cable would fit with the AFP booster pump housed under it.

AFP pp & Man Trim cable length OK

GOOD NEWS! I just finished mounting my -9A tail feathers and rigging the Manual cable. Turns out that the cable Van's sent with my kit is PLENTY long! In fact... there is more cable than I know what to do with!

So not sure why someone else found their cable too short, but mine is fine.

Mike

Do you happen to have a pic of how you ran the cable UP to the mount plate? Where did you cut the hole on the afp cover? I did a nice job of coming out the forward side of the housing, right above where the fuel flow transducer will go, and it looks to short, so i am pretty sure i need to reroute it so it climbs closer to spar. Pic would be really appreciated.

Pics for floor pene

Rick, Send me your personal email so I can send a couple pics of my plan for the floor panel. I did the cable routing to the tail per plans.... pretty ackward getting through the first rib and the HS rear spar. I have it all apart now until after the plane is painted. I only want to do that ONE more time!!! ICK
[email protected]

Back