What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual flaps???

cjensen

Well Known Member
In thinking back to my Cherokee ownership days, I REALLY liked the fact that they had manual flaps. I was flying a TB20 with electric flaps a few weeks ago, and had the first 10 degrees of flaps split on me. Three days ago, the flaps on our King Air 200 wouldn't come down at all, and no breakers were popped.

Has anyone fitted, or come up with a way to fit manual flaps on the -7? I know the -6's had manual flaps, so there MUST be some way to do this.

Any thoughts? If there is a way to do it, fill me in, 'cuz I WANT MANUAL FLAPS!

Has anyone fitted, or come up with a way to fit manual flaps on the -7? I know the -6's had manual flaps, so there MUST be some way to do this.

This topic has been thoroughly hashed on the forum before, so a search should bring up the old posts.

I don't know of any reason why you couldn't buy the manual RV-6 flap bits and pieces (or get them from someone who has upgraded to the electric)and install them in the -7, but I wouldn't do it if I was building an RV-7. I had manual flaps in my RV-6 but after making the swap, I much prefer electric flaps. The space between the seats is tight and if you and/or the passenger are larger than petite, your elbow is going to end up in the passenger's ribs as you pull the final notch.......after you reach under their hips for the flap lever. :eek:

You can order the manual flap weldment from Vans, or it's pretty easy to modify the one made for electric flaps. I have manual flaps in my -6 and wouldn't trade it. It's great.

Back