What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual flap bummer...maybe...

cjensen

Well Known Member
I got my manual flap weldment back from the powdercoater today (looks GREAT!!), but when I put the one that comes with the fuse kit on top of it, turns out the aft arms on the manual weldment from an RV-6 are about an inch and a half longer. Wonder if this makes much of a difference on the 7?

1-30-07-007w.jpg

1-30-07-008w.jpg

I'm gonna give Van's an email tomorrow to see what they say, but I don't think they'll offer much support since they don't offer this option on the 7. :rolleyes:

I believe the reason that the manual actuator is longer than the electric is the location of mounting it. The electric is mounted on the aft side of the bulkhead and the manual is mounted on the forward side of the bulkhead which requires a longer arm.

That makes sense if that's the case with the RV-6. I have an email off to Van's to check on this.

Thanks!

Have you gotten the final answer from Van's, yet? I am keen to know. I would really like manual flaps on my -7. :)

Gus gave me the answer I thought I would get...

We don't know - we haven't tried to put manual flaps in the 7/9 - but
it would seem sensible to follow the 6 plans to keep it as similar to
that as possible.

Vans

Not really a definitive answer, but it's what I thought they would say. The only spot I see that I'll need to make a small mod, is where the rod goes down through the fuselage. May need to adjust the hole aft a bit. Shouldn't cause any problems. I've looked at a 6 where it comes thru, and it seems as though this will work out.

For manual flaps the torque tube needs to be mounted forward of the bulkhead per the -6 plans. If the tube is mounted aft of the bulkhead as on the electric flaps the push rods will be too far aft and will not give proper flap deflection.

Mel said:
For manual flaps the torque tube needs to be mounted forward of the bulkhead per the -6 plans. If the tube is mounted aft of the bulkhead as on the electric flaps the push rods will be too far aft and will not give proper flap deflection.
Depends on the part that you are using. If you are using wd-613 manual, it must go on the front of the bulkhead. If you do this, you must hack a hole in the bulkhead to pass the tail through. BUT, if you use wd-613 EF, it mounts on the back as per current plans. This is THE BEST PART to use for this application. Elec. or Manual. Watch thread MANUAL FLAPS FOR 6 7 & 9.

By the way Mel, I like your idea of three notches I will add this to the plans. Time to make a new F-658A. That will make it more like my Piper was.

I owe you one. Watch my thread for my mods.

Warren

Back