What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual Aileron Trim

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I've been humbled setting up the aileron manual trim.

How much force is the friction block supposed to provide? I set it up to have a fair amount of friction, and the adel clamp at the handle side will not hold the cable casing without it slipping off. So it seems I'm setup for more force than a Bowden cable can transfer. But if it isn't enough friction it will just recenter and not keep position in flight. So how much is right?

Is there anything I can do to have the Adel clamp grab the cable casing better so it doesn't slide around?

Has anyone had to open the hole in the center of the friction block so that the action of the bolts on it is more meaningful? My adjustment range with the bolts is from pretty tight to unmoveable.

Yep I had the same issues. I wrapped some heavy duty electrical tape around the cable at the adel clamp to help grip it, and filed out some of the friction block so there was less friction. If I was doing it again, I'd be looking for a different/better quality Bowden cable, as nearly all of the friction was at that tight radius within the cable.

From my experience from just finishing phase 1 testing of my RV8 , I never touched the aileron trim lever. It the wings are mounted and rigged properly, the plane doesn’t wander about the roll axis. Even when one tank is 5 and the opposite tank is full, I couldn’t tell the plane is imbalanced.

Use a plain metal clamp like AN742. They won't slip on the cable sleeve.

Back