What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual Aileron trim

flydjd

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Q please for those of you already flying .-

If you have aileron trim installed how much do you use it ? Or put another way could you live without it ?

I have the manual kit but have an fitting interference issue with my centre console which means I may leave it out ( and don't want to bite the bullet and pay $285 :eek: for the electric version )

I get by without aileron trim in spam cans but would like real world experience of RV drivers

Thanks

I use mine every flight. Burning off fuel makes for a noticeable imbalance unless you switch tanks every 30 minutes. The 8 I am building will have the manual aileron trim as well.

All the time

I use mine all the time as well. Fuel burnoff, carrying a passenger, all make a difference. Remember the RV is very sensitive to control pressure and just the slightest imbalance requires some aileron trim pressure to fly hands off.

If you don't put in aileron trim of some sort, you will rarely be able to fly straight and level hands off. Just my observations.

I have the manual aileron trim in my -6 and use it regularly. It's not really necessary, but it is quite convenient.

I have the manual trim, too. I use it all the time. Worth having.

Personally, I skipped the console idea as it makes the cockpit too cramped for me.

JMHO
Roberta

I installed the system while building but removed it for the intial test flying, never bothered to put it back in as the forces are so light to keep wing level that it really seems unnecessary. If I want to keep wings level hands off I flip on the A/P!

While I'm not so sure I would install another electric trim system, I would most definitely install at least manual aileron and elevator trim in my next project.

I broke mine just before inspection time.

My inspector said that it wasn't needed to complete the inspection or for flying, so I didn't repair it until I had about 40 hours on the plane.
It is no problem to fly the plane without it, even with my heavy right wing.
If I wanted to fly hands off I would just trim the elevator and then use a slight pressure with my inter thigh to hold the wings level. :)

Hey, when I was a kid I used to drive my car by using my knees. :eek:

Kent

I also use it every flight. I switch tanks every 30 minutes and somewhere between 20-25 minutes I have to make a slight adjustment to trim it up.

The aileron trim certainly isn't required but it really feels good to trim it up and have the plane fly hands-off.

I would install it again.

Karl

Haven't used it yet

I installed it but did not tighten it up, so it has no effect and the handle is not installed. In 60 hours I have not missed it. I still may use it on trips, but I agree with the above - that's what the AP is for. I change tanks every 30 min. I'm not saying not to install it, but just reporting my experience.

Back