What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Making your own exhaust heat shields - howto?

David_Nelson

Well Known Member
Hi Everybody,

I need a couple of heat shields but at $11+/ea (ACS, Vans) + S&H, I figure I can make my own in a matter of minutes for much less $$$. Looking at the one that came in the FWF kit, it looks to be made of aluminium. Can anybody confirm that and what type of aluminium?

Anybody making their own? Which aluminium are you using (2024, etc) and how far down from the exhaust port are you putting them? I'm looking at 22".

I've plenty of .030 and .063 2024-T3 sheet and a quick check shows that it has a melting point of around 500 ?C (932 ?F); seems a little on the weak side for the given application.

Thanks,

You can certainly make your own....stainless strip standoffs, 2024T3 umbrella.

I had bad luck with SS strip mounts (I probably used too light a gage). The strip mounts invaribly broke after only a few hours.

As an alternative, I have had excellent results by using two AN3-6 bolts. I ground the head down to a thin "cap". I then drilled a hole in the solid portion of the SS hose clamp and clamped the "shaved head" bolts to the exhaust pipe, somewhat like a welded stud. I then attached the 2024T3 shield by jam nutting it onto the clamped bolt "studs" using steel and steel (no nylon) locking nuts. Has been very secure for 200+ hours. Cheap, easy to make, robust and easy to adjust.

No evidence of heat transfer to nearby fire sleeved lines.

While you can make your own, it is just easier to add them to a list and include them with your next order.

The time you spend making them will exceed the few dollars Van's and Aircraft Spruce charges for them.

You can make them entirely of stainless if you want.

If you're having trouble with durability, you probably made the wrong kind....use four standoffs.

Typical for an 1-1/2" pipe:

5u2q9c.jpg

The very good reason to make your own? Exact size as required.

Depends on the length of the shield. Two standoffs are enough for a short shield, 3", maybe 4". Most shields should be longer and I'd use 4 standoffs.

Typical standoff:

2611zk4.jpg

In places where a SS heat shield isn't practical,you might be able to use this product: Heat Shield Mat

It is self adhesive and can be trimmed to any shape with scissors. When used to protect the exterior paint, place it on the inside of your cowling, seal the edge down with Red RTV (or similar) and you'll have a tidy heat shield that should last the life of the plane.

Other areas that I have used it on my Rocket include: over the engine mount rubber parts to prevent exhaust heat damage, over the intake rubber parts for the same reason, short pieces can be wrapped around fuel lines in problem areas, etc...

We also carry a larger size that can be used to help keep your feet cooler by covering the front side of the firewall. I make no claims that it will keep fire out of the cockpit, please see Dan Horton's thread on that topic. But it will help keep normal heat away from your feet, particularly useful in the summer when every little bit helps.

Thanks for the good ideas/drawings and offers.

Out of curiosity, what's the ideal distance to place the heat shield with respect to the exhaust pipe? Closer, midway, farther, or does it matter (within reason of course)?

Stainless Shields

Be sure to use Stainless Rivets (monel pop rivets work well) the Aluminum ones get mushy and loose pretty quick. 300hrs no problems on the ones I made (all Stainless, held on with a stainless hose clamp)
Peter

Back