What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Making squeezer yokes

diamond

Well Known Member
Does anyone have experience making your own squeezer yokes? If so, please share how you go about doing this. From what I can gather, the metal is not of a conventional thickness, so needs to be milled down? Any advise greatly appreciated.

me too

I, too, would like to hear anyone's thoughts on this. I have a mill, so i could make most any shape. What steel should be used for it - just mild carbon steel, or something else?

I have some drawings for yokes and they spec 8620 steel and heat treated after machining. Unless your time doesn't cost you anything by the time you made one you would have more in it than you would just buying one. Unless of course you made a couple hundred and started selling them...

Bob Avery is associated with a company that can build you any yoke you need if off the shelf ones don't work. As Rocket Bob suggests, you can't build one for what they charge unless your time is free.

Keep in mind, if all of our time wasn't free we would not be able to afford the aircraft we are building. :D

Back