What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Making Spacers

DHeal

Well Known Member
Patron
A little tip: When you need to make the various "spacers" (e.g., F-1287H, etc.), cut the 5/16" tubing to approximate length, chuck the tubing into your 3/8" drill press, turn on the drill press, and carefully lower the tubing end down onto a flat file positioned on the drill press table. The tubing end will be nicely squared-up and finished. Occasionally remove the tubing from the chuck to check that the overall finished length is what you want. Just be careful that the file's slight movement doesn't get away from you. Onward and upward!

Drill press

I marked the tube, put it in a drill press and spun it against a securely held hacksaw blade to cut it to the correct length, then pressed the ends onto fine sandpaper to polish them and polished up the exterior by spinning the tube against some scotchbrite. Worked very well.

Alternate means for the woodworker

Having more woodcutting tools than metal-cutting tools, I drilled a hole thru the end of a length of 2"x2" scrap, inserted the tubing, and cut the whole works to length on my Dewalt wood-cutting miter saw. With a little practice/fence tweaking (without the tubing inserted), I could cut it within a few thousandths.

Well, I hadn't thought of that solution (chucking in my drill press and lowering onto file) to fabricating the various spacers and I think it's an excellent idea. I'll certainly use it.

Thanks for sharing DHeal

Denmit
RV-12 120398 VH-KDS
Empennage/Tailcone complete
Wings in progress

bushings

Works great but even better if you clamp a block of wood to the drill press table to hold the file against. Heavy gloves to protect your hands in case things get out of control. Finish with fine emery on the drill press table. Debur with a fine file on the od and a countersink or deburring tool on the id.

Back