What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Making inspection panels in F771

Hi Shiney...

..Quite a few folks have put inspection panels there but their usefullness is somewhat limited because of the middle structure blocking access to the rear of the instrument panel.

We're building a -7 here but are using a three piece modular panel and there'll be enough "loop" in the wiring to remove the radio stack and also the Dynon EFIS's.

Regards,

..Quite a few folks have put inspection panels there but their usefullness is somewhat limited because of the middle structure blocking access to the rear of the instrument panel.

I completely disagree with Pierre here. I can't imagine working on mine without the forward top skin panels. For me, it isn't about getting to the back of the instrument panel, I have a tipup, but all the equipment that is stuffed between the firewall and subpanel. See my build log for pictures.

Inspection panel

Yes, I agree with Scott, I need it to get access to all the stuff hidden in there!

Well, I'll go the other direction. I don't have them, haven't seen a need for them and if I built another I probably wouldn't put them in.

I need em!

that's the great thing about these aeroplanes, you build them as YOU want and I need inspection panels.....

Have Not Regretted Doing It

I put them on my plane and have had to get into the wiring for my GNS480 when additional ARINC wires were required for my GRT EFIS. My plane is a slider and because the depth of the radio stack is deeper than the 480 above it, it would have been impossible to get to that wiring had I not had the access panel on that side. The other side houses my AHRS on a shelf which is only accessible through that access panel.

Now to the original question of how to do them. I do not have anything posted but some pictures are below. I found that cutting the access covers first then tracing them onto the top skin gave me a great fit that took into account my troubled ability to make perfectly straight cuts. The rectangular "donuts" mount under the skin with rivets and have plate nuts on the inner exposed edge that the covers mount to. Be sure you mount them to the skin while the skin is in its bent position in place.

dsc01905n.jpg

dsc01909l.jpg

dsc01907.jpg

dsc01911b.jpg

dsc02511l.jpg

Last edited:
I fab'ed a pair of inspection/access covers that look very much like the ones shown above. And yes, fab'd 'em out of .035 sheet to match the 771 skin.

For those that have installed these inspection panels, how have you dealt with the fact that Vans recommends against putting large holes in this highly stressed region, where engine and prop loads are transitioning from the firewall to the airframe? Did you go manufacture your own skin from thicker stock and / or reinforce the panel cutouts?

For those that have installed these inspection panels, how have you dealt with the fact that Vans recommends against putting large holes in this highly stressed region, where engine and prop loads are transitioning from the firewall to the airframe? Did you go manufacture your own skin from thicker stock and / or reinforce the panel cutouts?

As indicated in the previous posts, a backing ring under the skin reinforces the access holes. I personally have not heard of anyone increasing the skin thickness although that would be an option. I also have never heard of anyone experiencing structural problems resulting from adding the access holes and many people have done this mod. If you go this route, make sure to create a gasket under the inspection plates with some RTV to prevent water leakage

erich

I have been contemplating the same thing. Do you worry about water leaks on your avionics with the access holes? How would you keep water out?

Sorry, had the page up from earlier (did not re-fresh), and did not see the previous post. I have seen just about everything leak and that would suck to get some water on tens of thousands of dollars of electronics.

Last edited:
Inspection Plates

If you make the inspection plates from fiberglass then you can mount a GPS and XM antenna on the back side! That's what I did (it wasn't my original idea, but it shure works nicely).

As far as the structural question, I talked to Ken at Van's and he thought it was a good idea, as long as a reinforcing ring with area equal to the metal removed was used. I used a thicker aluminum stock and probably overdid the area replacement.

Bob Cowan

Back