What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Making/Cleaning Hoses

HSANTIBANEZ

Well Known Member
When i saw the videos at eaa web page, homebuilders hints, the man use some spray cleaner and air after he make the hose, does everybody knows who cleaner is? How do you make the final hose inspection? who is the best in-shop procedure to test hoses.

Regards

Hernan

Electrical component spray (trichloroethane?) is best. Nitrogen tank to test is best. Use a safety box or cage while testing. Some people test with pressurized grease, but then you need to clean the hose.

After I fabricate hoses I put them on a small Tronair hydraulic cart filled with 5606. I cap one end, pump it up and if it holds pressure for 30 minutes its good. As far as cleaning goes, normally just a little isopropyl alcohol and filtered shop air does the trick.

Mickey

After I fabricate hoses I put them on a small Tronair hydraulic cart filled with 5606. I cap one end, pump it up and if it holds pressure for 30 minutes its good. As far as cleaning goes, normally just a little isopropyl alcohol and filtered shop air does the trick.

Mickey

I bought a hand hydraulic pump, added a pressure gauge to it, and then added the appropriate fittings to attach the hose. Leaving the other end open I just pumped until the hose was full of oil, then capped the hose. It's then an easy procedure to pressurize it to the proof pressure and inspect for leaks. Once done testing, all that has to be done is to depressurize the hose, hold the end up and loosen the cap - and all the oil goes back into the hand pump. Clean out with mineral spirits and compressed air and you're done. I tested all my hoses on my Rocket project this way. Not very expensive and less hazardous than using compressed gas. I was able to easily test to 3000PSI (>4500 PSI burst strength) on the Teflon hoses I made. Probably overkill, but at least I know the fittings aren't going to pop off.

Mark Olson RV-7A F1-EVO Rocket

i use

a 10,000 psi pump, test to 3000, and clean the inside of the hose with non-clorinated brake cleaner. Works well, doesnt leave a film. Blow out with compressed air, and look down each hose for debris. I made my tester in a solvent cleaning tank. Test benches can get pretty elaborate, but for guys building their own, a pump and a containment box, and some AN adapters and plugs will work.
Tom

Back