What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Major Problem - page 21-02 and 21-03

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I flipped the fuse assembly over and put the bottom skin on, but the holes did not come out where they should be. Problem is, I cannot figure out just what went wrong. As you can see from the photos, the baggage ribs are properly oriented by their distinctive holes that match page 21-02 and 03.
It would appear I need to drill out a batch of rivets and flip the baggage floor ribs in some direction OTHER than the plans specify. Am I missing something?
2cz7jgo.jpg
[/IMG]
2r7ndid.jpg
[/IMG]

move skin 1/2"

Don,
You are asking a lot expecting me to remember details like this. :D
Without actually being there to look at the big picture, it is hard to see what goes where. The only thing that I can suggest is to move the skin 1/2" to the left. That will line the holes up, but what that does to the rest of the sheet is out of the picture.
Joe

Is the problem that F-1204 and F1204D are too close together? If so, can you spread them apart, perhaps by supporting that area from the bottom?
Joe

Is the problem that F-1204 and F1204D are too close together?

Did you put a heavy weight on the structure? ;)

Move the skin forward and start aft. As Joe suggested the F-1204 and F1204D are too close together. Everything looks o.k.

Well, the rest of the bottom (the vast majority) aligns perfectly, so I feel the problem is with the baggage floor ribs somehow. With the two sets of ribs back there riveted to the baggage floor, moving it without taking all the rivets out is not possible. I realize I must take out many rivets, but that is not the problem, how come it is that way is the problem and how do I fix it?. I followed the instructions to the letter on that area, rechecked the instructions, and still it will not line up properly. By eyeballing it, it appears that if I flip the ribs making the current bottom now the top, lit may align, but would be not in accordance with the plans! I am getting the idea that someone at Vans decided to change the orientation of the baggage floor ribs and did not change the instructions.
It is times like this that digital photos by Vans would serve a far better purpose than the drawings.

Floor Ribs?

Don I think you maybe right on the floor ribs. Go back a few pages and make sure they are mounted correctly. The maybe upside down or backwards. Give us some pics with the bottom skin off so we can see those ribs.:confused:

More Photos

Note location of alignment holes in my photo and on the referenced pages. They are the same. Also, the two parts that stick up in the air when right side up, are too far apart for the piece that is supposed to go there.
{inappropriate image removed - ed}
qo62qs.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
Jetguy saved the day for me!

Although I thought it was a useless suggestion, he suggested that the weight of the assembly on the table was making it bend slightly. I put a piece of 3/4 inch wood under that heavy weight channel, bingo they all line up! Boy am I ever relieved!
jl33ty.jpg
[/IMG]

Wings 21-02-03

Don: Sounds like the problem I had. The ribs were sent to me with the L & R reversed. I had all ribs installed and was ready to install skins when I discovered skin wouldn't fit. Called Joe at Vans and sent him pictures of ribs with sticker still on. Wrong sticker. Had to drill out about 200 rivets. Vans sent me replacement ribs and it worked out fine. Just took me a lot of work to correct error. I bet your kit section was shipped at the same time mine was. Ron Russ RV9A, RV12

No, apparently not. When the fuse is at the stage of construction I was at, its bending ability is totally on one piece of aluminum. When sitting on a table, weight makes it change its relationship at that point. I could just lift slightly with my hand, and it all came into alignment, no wrong pieces afterall.

Back