What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Major Mods- Procedure and Paperwork

jim miller

Well Known Member
My recently purchased RV3 (less engine) has the following statement in
the operating limitations:"The cognizant FAA Flight Standards Office must
be notified and their response received in writing, prior to flying this aircraft
after incorporating a major change as defined by FAR 21.93"
I plan to install a 0235 and maybe remove header tank and use only wing
tanks. Do I make the mods, then contact the FSDO, or submit a proposed
mod first? Will the final step be an inspection by FAA rep or DAR and some
kind of local flight testing period similar to a newly licensed exp aircraft?
Will I need a "annual" signed off by A&P before the FAA or DAR looks at the
plane or will their inspection be the first annual?

Thanks
Jim Miller

Earlier op lims called for a recurrent airworthiness inspection after any major change. This is just like an original A/W inspection except that you don't have to show compliance with the 51% rule.
It would be best to talk with whoever you plan to have do the inspection before starting. They may want to see the aircraft before you start.

Last edited:
Mel's advice is spot on as usual.

One of my earlier airplanes had the same wording as yours. I made a very major change and detailed it in writing to the appropriate inspector at my FSDO office. The written response not only said flight was approved, but from that point forward I could modify anything without further notification.

Later operating limitations dropped the notification requirement for major mods, and you could ask the FSDO to exchange your older op lims for the new one. You may wish to consider that request instead.

Dan, Mel
I will take your advice and ask for both approval for the current mods and
a updated operating limitations. Where can I find the document that allows
for mods without approval so I can refernece it in my letter to FAA?

Thanks
Jim Miller

FAA Order 8130.2G, Section 9 (experimental amateur-built), 4104 (Operating Limitations), paragraph (19).

Don't be surprised if they require you to get a recurrent Airworthiness inspection this time.
To qualify for amended op lims, the aircraft is supposed to be current in all respects. i.e. In flying condition and with a current "annual condition inspection".

Back