What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maintenance Tools Needed

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
So, now that I am flying, I am working on building my toolset for a flying airplane. I am trying to find out what tools I will need to do my inspections with. Some of the things I've found:

Replacement Oil Filters
Oil Filter Wrench
Oil Filter Cutter
Spark Plug Gap Gauge

But what about things like these?
Magneto timing tools
Spark Plug Gapping Tool
Other???

Mag timing. Yes
Plug gapping tool. Yes
Also
Plug cleaner (media blaster)
Spare copper plug gaskets
Champion graphite thread lube
Spare plug in case you drop one
Safety wire I assume you have
Compression tester
Air filter cleaner/oiler if you use Vans filter
Inspection mirrors
Spare screws for the ones you chew up or loose.
Grease gun (prop, nose pivot zerk)
Wheel bearing grease
Extra cotter pins for main wheels
Brake pad riveter/removal tool
Extra brake pads and rivets
LPS-1 and -2

You may be able to share these tools with one or more other owners

Big wrench

The big wrench for the wheel nuts is available at Walmarts and Auto stores in the trailer hitch department. It costs about 10-12 dollars.

A Ford wrench is also useful. These are the 90 degree open-end adjustables. I find them at garage sales.

On my 2 RV's, wheel, tire, and brakes are the most worked on. So, a good system to check air pressure and add air, a jacking system of some sort, and a schrader valve tool are handy.

Needed tools

Don't tell anybody but here is a great tool ;) Go to the Aviation department in the big box stores and find you a 4' piece of L stock (alum). 1 inch by 1 inch or so... When you loosen the oil filter, bring it open just far enough so that the oil starts to dribble down the V in the L stock... put a bucket under the other end, go have lunch and by the time you get back - NO MESS! :)

Do I need the Slick Timing Pin? Does it matter if its a retard rather than impulse mag?

For routine maintenance, you shouldn't need one, but the first time you pull a mag you will. With the SB, you will need it by 250 hrs.

I'd also get a spark plug tray for keeping track of which plugs are which before rotating.

Brake bleeder.

As mentioned, extra screws will always be needed.

A tackle box tray to keep track of hardware when items are removed.

A Ford wrench is also useful. These are the 90 degree open-end adjustables. I find them at garage sales.

I found both of mine in airplanes. One was a in Delta 737 wheelwell with a big 'ol maglite and safety wire pliers.

Electrical connection lube and dielectric grease.
You may need a crow's foot for the prop bolts.
Did anyone mention an oil test kit? I never do a change without sending in a sample.

Back