What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main Wheel Fairings Question

jerry98b

RV-9A

The R2 plans call for three (U-408) spaces to be made from 3/8 x .058 6061-T6 tubing for each wheel.
The R3 plans call for three (U-00408) spaces to be made from 3/8 x .058 4130 steel tubing for each wheel.

I was sent R3 plans, but not sent the steel tubing; I was sent the aluminum tubing. Do I need to just follow revision 2 plans or contact Van's to get the steel tubing for revision 3?
2024-09-03 07.22.17.jpg
2024-09-03 07.27.11.jpg
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I believe the issue is that the pants take a beating and over time, the aluminum spacers can compress, resulting in the attach bracket getting loose. A common fix here is to to replace the aluminum spacers with steel. That's been going on in the field for a long time.

When was rev 3 issued? It has to be pretty recent since there are jillions of Rv's flying with aluminum spacers.

Bottom line; you can use aluminum, and if they get loose at some non-specific future time, you can replace them with steel, or you can just get some steel tube and do it now.

I put mine all together a couple of years ago and I'm reasonably confident that it called out aluminum tubes at that time, but I had it in the back of my mind to replace that with steel if the pants ever show signs of getting wobbly. Glad to see that Van's updated their print.

Back