What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main tire radius

prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm going to construct some big wooden blocks for stability to rest the main gear axles on when I remove the wheels for bearing maintenance. I'm not at the hangar to take measurements, and I want to put the blocks together before I go out.
Can someone tell me the nominal distance of the main gear axles from the floor when the plane is sitting on normally inflated tires (RV-9A)? I need to know how high to make these blocks so they will just slide under the axles when I jack the plane up so the tires just clear the ground.
Thanks!
Phil

Michelin tire databook lists a 5:00-5 at a max inflated diameter of 14.2".

Michelin tire databook lists a 5:00-5 at a max inflated diameter of 14.2".

Thanks Dan. So by that, the bottom of the axle would then be roughly 7 inches off the ground (half the tire diameter) - does that sound right?

get some 2x4's cut 5 inches long. you will need about 4 or 5 of them to do the job. i just did a set of new tires yesterday :)
the same blocks work well for the nose wheel removal too.

I simply use a piece of 6x6 pressure treated lumber left over from the pole barn (hangar) construction. I don't think any specific height is needed.

Back