What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main Spar Jigging Tab

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
What do you do with the outboard main spar jigging tab on the rv-6 wings? Cut it off flush with the rib? Flush with the skin? If you remove it there is nothing left to support the wing in the jig. It looks like it will interfere with the wingtip...

Thanks,

Mine are still there with rounded corners. You'll want them for the jig. You can easily cut them off with a cutting disc later.

L.Adamson ---- RV6A

Leave the tab on for wing jigging, but cut the corners enough to eliminate any wingtip interference. This is easy to do before the skin and rib are installed, but not impossible to do after (ask me how I know).

While the wing is in the jig...

...leave them on. They can be trimmed off after the wing is on the aircraft. At a minimum, you will need to bevel the top and bottom corners of the spar to allow the wing tip to fit. Or you can cut them completely off if you wish.

I beveled mine. This allowed me to attach some snap bushings and connector hardware for the wingtip nav lights and strobes.

Thanks for the input, I will have to round off the corners at a later time since the skin is already on. I figured I'd need to keep the tab until after the wings was out of the jig. Cutting it flush with the rib looks to be difficult to accomplish once the skin is on.

Back